How many have had a motor go bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Runner, Nov 17, 2001.

?

Would you consider a guaranteed rebuilt for this price and length of warantee.

Poll closed Dec 1, 2001.
  1. Being able to bring your mower in and just have it swapped (semi locally)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Just shipping new motor for old (core charge on return)

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was just wondering how many of you have had a motor go bad, then replced it or shortblocked it, because you thought it wasn't worth fixing. A friend of mine was thinking of doing something like setting up a motor replacement, or a mail order service. So far, he has rebuilt 7 for local lco's (he is an lco himself) and now has 7 more fresh motors just waiting. These are all Kohler 25's. He did one for a friend of mine, and this friend told us that that motor NEVER ran like it does now. He can't believe the power and the smoothness. Anyway, this guys plan, is to be able to bring someone mower in, and within about an hour or so, he can have the motor swapped out with a new one. He's thinking he'll charge $1000. and give a 1000 hr. guarantee. I know for a fact that this guy definitely knows what he's doing, and his cousin that works with him has a degree in diesel mechanics (even though he works on everything, including racecars.) As long as no permanent block damage has occured, there should be no trouble rebuilding these motors. The way this came about, was he was told by our local dealer, that these Kohler 25's could not be rebuilt, due to the cylinder being out of round. Well, after just buying new for his seventh Lazer, (yes, he runs seven constantly) his cousin wanted to inspect one of the old motors that these mechanics had inspected and said could not be rebuilt. After scoping the cylinder walls, it was discovered that there was nothing wrong with them. Now, this is after $14000. has been spent on new motors. Don't think for a moment tht this friend of mine wasn't ticked at this dealership for being decieved. Anyway he started rebuilding them, and has had great success with these motors thus far, and has several people in this area coming to him for more. Right now, he is currently doing one of the new fuel injected 26 hp motors for someone. I'll let you know how this turns out. Anyway, I was just wondering, how many of you would be interested in going this route you were in need and it was available.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I probably wouldn't want a deal like that. $1000.00 is a lot of money to rebuild a 2 cylinder engine. For a few hunderd more you can get a brand new 25 Kohler or 23 Kawasaki. I had a 14 Kawi rebuilt last year for $300.00 and that included boring the cylinder .010 over, new piston, rings, connecting rod, bearings and seals.

Heck, you can get a nearly complete Jasper 350 for $1500.00.

3. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I agree with Richard. $1000 is too steep. For $500-$750 I'd consider it though. Russ

4. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

i just bought a new 14 hp kaw for 820 with a 2 year warranty for my bunton. 25hp kohler is bigger and should be higher but not that much for a rebuilt one.

Just my .02 worth.

5. $820 just for the engine. You got screwed!! I can get a new 25hp Kohler for $1,100. bolt right on. Complete, not missing anything.

Runner, I have 2-25hp vert's that I rebuilt over the winter. Cost $180 each. Machine shop cost $45 each.

6. ScotLawn

this was complete. no short block. take it out of crate and bolt it up.

7. Complete Kaw 15hp v-twin $535. Opps, even with electric start.

8. ScotLawn

man i need your connections. 820 here at two shops i checked at.

that was without electric start. I wish i had the starter. what would the price be for a starter and all the goodies to hook it up to a 14 kaw

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My 14 hp Kaw went bad on me so I had it replaced with an 18 hp electric start Kolher. Plenty of power for my 48" Exmark hydro and much easier to start. I paid $900.00 installed.

10. ScotLawn

kohler are cheaper than kaw. 14hp kohler was around 600 here without electric start.