1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how many have had partners that succeeded

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yergus, Feb 3, 2003.

1. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

when i first started this business i was going to take on a partner. the deal was i would do the financing and he would do most of the work. i was going to help when i got off work.
    within five weeks we were ready to kill each other, he could not lift a trimmer without someone working with him, so the day actually began when i got off work.
    luckily we never had the partnership formalized, or i would have lost everything, my house my truck, everything.
    he went out on his own, stole more than half my customers, then only lasted seven weeks in business himself.
    i was warned never to take on a partner, the partner was my step son, so i thought it would work.
    what are your stories about having partners
    does anyone have a partnership that has fourished?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've never considered one and after reading that, even more so.
  3. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

i was told by my CPA that partnerships allow one person to become lazy, i didn't believe her because i was going in with family. i say that the only way a partnership could possibly work well, is with a multi million dollar company.
    ADVISE; never take on a partner, make the sacrifices on your own, or you will make them down the road tenfold.
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Yergus that is a frightening post. I never gave partnerships much thought after I decided they were not for me. Too much trust in another person. Even if you have the help of an attorney laying out responsibility for both parties if someone doesn't do their share then you both go down.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I had a partner when I first started out. He was a slob! He would leave grass clippings in the street in front of a customers house. He proclaimed that th customer didn't own the street, so it doesn't matter. I'm glad he's gone his own way.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree..I don't think that a partnership can work 100% effectively just because one or the other will think that they are pulling more of a load or invested more time and money then the other, thus causing a conflict.
  7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I gave a lawn business partnership a try 16 years ago. The first 6 weeks were great. Then he snapped, got his own equipment, defected and stole customers. He's long gone from the grass business now.

I'd say if you've got a lawn business partner, you're flirting with a greater than 90% chance of doom. Not a good idea at all.

I do have another completely different business in Russia though and after a year the partnership is working out fine.
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would NEVER go partner with anyone just because of the fact that when I go partner on anything I get The @#$%^& end of the deal. Never go partners and you will have less problems in the end.
  9. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

it does not matter how you and your friend or relative gets along, forming a partnership will destroy it. if we had had forms drawn up i would have had to have bought him out, but since we had no papers, and i did all the financing (30,000) and at least half the work, i treated him as an employee and kicked him to the curb.
  10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

From my experience nothing good ever came from having a business 'partner'. What one usually ends up with is 2 bosses (you and your partner)...and 1 worker (you!).

Never again for me.