How many have lettering on vehicles?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by K.Carothers, Feb 14, 2006.

?

Lettering on company vehicles

1. Yes, I have lettering

74 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. No, I do not have lettering

14 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. I will be getting lettering

23 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. I will continue not to have lettering

9 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear some do some don't. Some will, some won't.

What's your position?

kc

2. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

I feel you should have lettering. It looks more profesional and credible. Its advertising that will pay for itself with the first call or two you'll recieve from someone wanting services. payup

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Check your local / state laws. I'm sure everywhere it's the law by now.

3" high on the side of the truck, not just the trailer.

4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I will have to look into that. I wasn't aware that that was a law in PA.

kc

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on your overall goal. And probably not everyone here has thought that far out. Some guys here on lawnsite are probably just going with the flow, mowing lawns until they figure out what they really want to do with their life. It's a temporary thing until something better comes along. And that's cool. I have no problem with that. Those guys don't need to worry about truck lettering. It's purely optional.

To some others here, your goal might be to be the guy who mows lawns by himself until he gets old and weak and can't do it no more then he just lives meagerly for the rest of his life. These guys don't have to worry about truck lettering either. It's purely optional.

But if your eventual goal is to build a large, successful company with several crews, lots of employees, millions in annual revenues, etc. then truck lettering isn't an option for you. It's just what you need to do as part of the step toward success. Look at the large companies who are where you want to be one day and emulate what they do! Where I live, there are dozens of companies who have businesses like I described just now. 3 or 4 of them have annual revenues over $10 Million. And not a one of them drive around in unmarked trucks. Think there might be a clue there??? hammer

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Re: the above mention of a PA law on signage on a truck, I dont know of any law that says you have to have your truck lettered with the biz name. Now there is a law that your herbicide license # must be on the vehicle if indeed you are in fact licensed for chemical applications

IMHO if someone is full time and plans to stay in this biz, lettering is a
    must have

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Comercial vehicles in NJ must have it...min 3" high.

8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

what lman22 said , its a law in IN must be able to read signage from 50 ft away and on both sides of truck , iam have been in biz since 93 and iam sure getting a education this year as local s and DOT are sure dropping the hammer on the small guy

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

They've been doing that here in MN for about 5 years now, that's how I know.

It's NOT a requirement if you have a USDOT number, because that takes precidence.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Don't quote me on this, but if your truck is lettered I hope that the lettered vehicle is commercially insured. If not and you get into an accident, you could have problems.