how many have one of these customers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, May 8, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

you know, the kind of customer that knows you are going to show up the same day every week yet they still leave 500 feet of garden hose laid out or 35 lawn chairs from a party 3 days ago or has someone thats visiting that asks you to do something out of the ordinary (trim the brick patio). what do you do about it? i'm sick and tired of this but they are a very well respected member of the church that provides me with 1600 per month of work and i dont wanna ruffle any feathers. how should i go about dealing with this politely? i'm ready to run over the damn hose and tell the visitors to mind their own business. :realmad:

2. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

I charge a bit extra if it costs me time, my customers know and expect it.....its in my contract with them.

3. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Your lucky it is only one family, I have a whole condo complex like that!:hammerhead:

4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds familiar. Some people are just oblivious, so sometimes we move things and sometimes we let the tall grass act as a reminder to them. :hammerhead:

5. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I just itemize the labor charges on the bill. Five bucks for this ten-twenty for that. It is amazing how quick the hose and chairs are put away by the time you get there. But you have to itemize it. If you just raise your price they think you are just charging more more the same job. Itemize, itemize, itemize.

6. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Heck, I should start doing that, I could retire early just on my condo's alone.:laugh:

7. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Have one guy with 3000 sq. ft lawn. All last year had a trampoline set up, showed up today, has a fake putting green on pallets, and two things for throwing baseballs at and they each are staked down, including the trampoline, all in the backyard. We mowed the front and left, it would take 3 times longer to move it to mow and then move it again than it does just to mow.

8. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

haha id run over the putting green and be like wow i didnt even see it there.

9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

and another thing, shes always asking for a senior citizens discount. i finally gave her one if she pre paid each month. now i can sneak out before she makes it outside.

10. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

When I first got one of my customer she just had a freaking play set thing. That was more than enough with the swings, I caught one with the mower once and ripped the seat, but acted like nothin happend. I think it was there when she bought the house cause she has since took off that part of the set and the slide and her son is liek 14 and he dosent play on that junk no more, hes got his video games. Im waiting for her to ask me to take it down, I would do it for liek 50 bucks. Now she has since added a massive trampoline to the yard, the better for me, but what I do, is I use the trimmer to get about 4 feet under it and then just leave the middle with tall grass and then ill get under there maybe every to months. Cause its really gross when i do it, cause i have to get on my knees and all the grass jus comes back into my face, I think i might put the shiled on my old echo to help prevent that grass from hitting me. Im not even going to think about moving that thing and then have her come back and say i bent a pole or something.