How many have torn off a power chute?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Oct 20, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The power chute looks like a great idea. My fellow LCO was happy with his for about a month when he tore it of ($259). How many of you have paid the price just to tear one off? I confess i probably would bend one up eventually even though I like the idea....

Power chute.jpg
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What was the mode of failure?
  3. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

We don't run Power Chutes but we do run a manual chute I make myself. They sometimes get bent or ripped off. The problem usually happens during loading and unloading the ztr from the trailer.
    Years ago I made the chutes powered by electric window motors. They worked great but they didn't stand up to getting wet all the time.

4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I just got the new diamond plate one for my toro. It works great. It would be just as easy to tare off any other chute. I will get some pictures Sunday or Monday.
  5. tacoma200

I wasn't there but I think my friend had one that had a 90 degree swing. In other words it stuck out from the deck when in the up position. Of course he hit something with it I'm sure. The newer ones that fold strait up would be less of a problem but could still be bent, torn, etc. I'm just asking a question. I've never owned one so I'm asking who has had problems.
  6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i would imagine anyone with one, they are in a "high danger" area. i had a friend who made one and it gets whacked from time to time. ive keep saying im going to make one but never get around to it. i see the "EZ chute" on ebay alot, its the manuel one, i just cant see spending that much to break it
  7. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

just keep your mind on what your doing instead of looking at the hot chick in a bikini laying on the porch in the sun with all the grass clippings floating on her and wishing she would ask you to blow them off her with your backpack blower:drinkup:
  8. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

The power chutes work great. They are also good to deal with as the motors have a lifetime warranty. I have had 2 motor failures with mine just this year. I will probably order a spare this time. I wouldn't worry about the chute itself as it is just steel and you can always repair it easy enough.
  9. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

the foot operated chute from exmark is awesome EXCEPT the only problem is that it doesnt come up far enough. it makes the mower throw the clippings about 1-1 1/2 of a line over. clippings are never spread out. all 3 i have seen do it. it can be changed but looks to me like it wouldnt be very easy though. its not adjustable either.
  10. tacoma200

Lifetime warranty on the motor. That's good to know. I may add it to my wish list.