1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many have you lost so far?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drew Gemma, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

New year we always start getting the I moved, don't need you , can't afford, went to the home or died.

So far we lost 3 mowing accounts nothing special and picked up 2 new weekly mowing accounts.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We lost one so far, she wrote us early and told us her brother-in-law is now going to cut it. We also plan on dropping 3 more that aren't good enough accounts.
  3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I lost one last fall over a fall cleanup price and had another call and say she was moving to assisted living. Funny thing is she signed on for fert with my buddy. Lying B****.

I got 7 renewals that have not come in yet. They had a due date of the 15th of march. Suck If I lose all of them. Its still early since we got another foot of snow on friday.
  4. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I lost one... thank God! He was a PITA... use to sit on the front porch as I mowed. Then as I migrated to the backyard, he would show up on a lawn chair on the back porch... he was like my shadow... "I think you missed a spot!!" pointing everywhere. Lawn was NEVER done right. Turned what could've been 25 minutes into a 50 minute cut... week after week. "Why the big mower?" "Can ya push mow it" "Did you trim around that tree?" "Don't forget to edge the driveway..." while watching me edge the driveway.

I may add an age requirement on my customers... 70 and below. Cause anyone older then that just likes to biiiiooootch!:dizzy: :cry: :dizzy: :cry:
  5. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I lost one or two this year and picked up 10 new residential accounts this week. I'm hoping to pick up anonther 20 or so.
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Lost one last fall due to death not sure if it's really lost or not the family is keeping the cottage. Got a letter this week elderly customer is starting chemo and the family is getting her cottage and they will be looking after it. Expecting to lose a couple more yet. We're not real concerned about replacing them yet.
  7. AFD

AFD LawnSite Member

Gave a few up that was costing me more then I was making and some just because I don't like the customer. Still like to cut back another 20 to have a little more time with my little girl, both my boys work with me so they see me more then they want, TEENAGERS HA HA!!
  8. Young Lawn Boy

Young Lawn Boy LawnSite Member

i lost one on the terms of him getting fired and being outta work the whole winter and then another because they moved...i got i big $250 commercial weekly mowing job that i picked up last week so im feeling confident going into the season
  9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I would have 2 or possibly 3 customers left if I did that...
  10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

None yet this year. I have lost as many as 10 a year and as few as 1. used to loose sleep over it but not any longer just a part of business. Now that the housing market has settled a bit you shouldn't loose as many. Here I would loose one for a year till new landscape was in and then pick them up again. Just part of the job.
    I do agree on the mrs cravits watching all the time. I usually come up with a one liner like " did I do it right???" or " Did you see that chicken???"
    after that I can mow at least 1 time before they resume.