1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

how many heads per zone with 40 psi pressure

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by tbettis, Oct 17, 2007.

1. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

pressure is really weak in my area. is there anyway i can get more pressure to my home? ide figure 3 heads per zone but that would be a weird looking system when running..is the a booster pump or something i can use to get at least 75psi?

144342758021.jpg

144342938117.jpg

144343179525.jpg

144343337861.jpg

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

dude check out the mp rotor on the hunter website..

they are great for low pressure systems..

good luck..This group of guys=the best in the US...no doubt and if you ask nicely they will walk you through every step of the way..

best o luck

3. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

so your saying these rotors are specifically for low pressure systems?

4. NfdBrian

NfdBrian LawnSite Member

Look into the Davey 18-30 booster pump. I had the same problem when installing my system. I had 38 psi @ 3.5 gpm. Now with the pump I have 88 - 90 psi @ 11 - 12 gpm. The pump was $540 at my local plumbing supply house.

Good luck

Brian

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

captstream is dead on those MPR's are great for low psi,and they are very entertaining when their running. what is your flow rate and psi right now?

6. What are your neighbors doing? Might try seeing if one found a good sprinkler man who can help you out. I would not recommend a DYIer try to tackle a situation like this. This is challenging for long time pros. The city may not want you slapping a booster pump on because that could affect your neighbors water pressure and flow.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If you're basing PSI on your house pressure you need to do a little more investigation. On any new system you want to make your POC as close to the main source as possible and on as large a supply line as practical. This often remedies many problems and if the piping is correctly sized then this will keep friction loss to your heads to a minimum. Start at your POC and work out from there.

There's also no solution better than getting a good local irrigator to look things over as he'd have the onsite advantage of seeing exactly what you're dealing with and the ability to make positive judgements.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Purple...need to get someone over to check not only the PSI,
    but how many gallons per minute produced. Fimco is correct, a lot of
    purveyors will not permit booster pumps, even with backflow protection.
    ROTAR is on concerning the MP Rotators, but they do perform better at higher
    pressures. A 1" meter will help improve the flow, but not that much.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Another trip down memory lane for the old timers.:)