How many here are members of BBB ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ElephantNest, Mar 2, 2004.

1. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Better Business Bureau just called me. A sales call. She said a couple of calls had come in about my company,( nothing bad, just inquiries) and wanted me to become a member. $299.00 for the first year, $260.00 per year after that. Of course, I'd get to use the BBB stickers/emblem on all of my fliers, ads, signs, etc. Also, it includes some type of assistance in any litigation procedures against me. And over 4000 hits a day on the website which I would be on, their site.

Any feedback? Thoughts, experiences. Cost sound right, worth it, etc.? Would this be better than being a member of The Chamber, or the same, or would the two go together well?

2. ElephantNest

from La.

*Crickets chirping
  3. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

I am a member of my local BBB. My membership fees are cheaper than yours for some reason. I use their logo on all my literature and the BBB stuff does stick out with some customers. What really makes me want to be a member is the fact that I get in on their group rating for my Workmans Comp. which saves me approximately $800 per year in WC fees. Ask them if they have a program such as this in your area.
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We are members. Nothing positive to report though.
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You know that newspaper ad you have been showing us? I will bet you thats where they got your name and number and no one called asking about you. It happens to me every year. They are so useless they have to solicate to get members.
  6. ElephantNest

from La.

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep 'em coming.

As for the BBB being useless, all I can say is that I've used them all of my life, as have my parents, friends, etc. Not disagreeing with you, just feel differently. Whenever I deal with a company I don't know, I call the BBB to at least see if they have a lot of complaints filed against them. Just not sure about the costs.....seems steep, but would be nice to use their logo.

And don't you get together and meet other business owners of the community who are BBB members? Seems like a good way to get your name out, but maybe the Chamber Of Commerce would be better for recognition.....I just don't know.
  7. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

They called me last year and said the same thing. I thinks it's just a sales pitch.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

9. ElephantNest

from La.

Thanks guys. Guess the CoC would be a better choice.
  10. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Being a member of the BBB is like an insurance policy,,,,its there if you or your customers need it.