1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many hours be put an a Lazer

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ple_1969, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Just bought a used 60” Lazer Z with 24 hours on the 25 hp Kohler on it and I was curious to know how many hours of use there designed to take. Keeping in mind that there is not abuse and the unit is maintained properly.

Just curious to know.

2. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

With proper fluid changes and filter changes, you can see anywhere between 2000 and 3000 hours easily. If your mower doesnt have it, I'd recommend a canister air filter and make sure you change fluids/filters reguarily.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the post. If the engine is not abused and is properly maintained, you should get at least 1000 to 1500 hours out of it. It's not terribly uncommon to see engines going over 2000 hours.

There are two things you can do to make sure your engine will last. Make sure that you keep the air filter nice and clean (don't blow it out), and change your engine oil and filter every 50 hours. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me when you can.

Here to help,

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Pete, I just thought I would add this. I have a 25 Kohler on another brand of mower. It now has 1730 hours on it an it still runs great. Other than oil filters and air filters, the only thing that it has had was a set of spark plugs and fuel filter. I started using Mobil 1 10-30 when it had 50 hours on it. Being synthetic, I stretch the oil changes to 100 hours. I don't know what Kohler's recommendation on synthetic is, but I chose to use it like I use it in everything else. I also added the Nelson filter system which yours probably has.

My next mower will be a Lazer with a Kohler on it as well. I've had no problem with the engine, so I'll get another one. I hope to pick it up next week.
  5. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed that you said not to blow out your air filter. I was wondering how I should clean mine for my 23 Kaw. I have always just blown mine out and then replaced when they seemed to be shot. This is what my dealer has recommended. What is the proper way to maintain an air filter. Also, is it worth it to get the canister air filter? And if so, what does this run for a 2001 23 Kaw? Its on a LHP 52". Thanks for your help.
  6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Neither Kawasaki nor Kohler recommend that you blow out the paper air filter. The proper manner to clean the paper element is to simply tap the filter against your workbench or other solid surface to dislodge the dirt. Any other dirt that remains in the filter should stay there. The filter actually does a better job of filtering out dirt once it's been run for a while and has a little dirt in it.

Using compressed air not only removes some of the dirt that you want in the filter but can also open up the pores letting much larger dirt particles pass through the filter and into the engine.

When taping the filter just make sure your not hitting it so hard that you damage the gaskets or cause the filter to collapse.