How many hours before you get rid of your Zero Turn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by LushGreenLawn, Feb 20, 2007.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Guys,

I know there are a few variables here, but I'm just looking for an average.

How many hours do you expect to get out of your zero turn before you sell it and get a new one?

Also, how many hours do you typically put on it in a year (full time guys, working 5 days a week)

I have a John Deere 717A, so I'd really like to hear from JD guys, but anyone with a commercial mower will help me get a better picture.

Thanks for the info guys, I am working on a 5 year projection for my business, and this information will help tremendously.

2. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I do a lot of maintenence and I'm a little optimistic, but I plan on getting at least 3000 hr's on my z turns. But i'm not planning on selling them, just run them until they die and then keep any parts that are still good.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on how well you keep your equipment. If you take care of it then they will last you along time but if you beat the heck out of them then they won't last as long

4. LushGreenLawn

Another Question - Do you guys replace motors, or figure the mower is done once the engine goes? Does the mower tpically outlast the engine (assuming regular maintinence, replacing parts as they break, spindles, bearings, ect)

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Are you asking how many hrs before you would trade it in?? If you are I would say somewhere around 1000-1200hrs any more and a dealer will most likely not want to trade because nobody will want to buy the mower.

6. LushGreenLawn

I wanted to keep my mower as long as possible. I do not plan on trading it in. My dad sells used tractors, and I could get him to sell it for me a more than the dealer would give me I'm sure.

I am not opposed to doing things like changing an engine or replacing a deck, if the juice was worth the squeeze.

When would I see major problems, to the point that it would not practical to fix it?

I know that this is a question that has no definate answer, anything can go wrong at any time, but I'm just looking for an average. I'm working on a five year business plan, and need to know roughly when I will need to buy a new one.

Would it be to much to expect 3000-4000 out of a commercial zero turn, if I was not worried about resale value? Have any of you run yours that long? If so, did it have the original engine and deck. I'm guessing the hydrolic pumps will outlast everything else.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well without considering resale or trade-in value(which you have indicated you're not concerned about), 3000 would be doable I'd think with a good maintenance schedule. IMO, 4000 is really pushing it, at least for an air-cooled gas engine. You'll get more life out of a liquid cooled gas or diesel engine.

I've seen numerous mowers with a second engine on them and the mower itself(frame, deck, etc) still in pretty decent shape.

Pumps and wheel motors, I have no clue there. Someone else with some knowledge on those will have to speak up.

8. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

10yrs for diesel ZTRs and front mounts, hands down. Starts becoming a reiablity issue when gets that old. plus you get somewhat of a trade in/bigger down payment towards a newer machine.

Edit: you can get more hours out of it. we put on about 500-600hrs in one season.

9. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

diesel engines are a whole different story. the engine will outlast every single part on the mower. Gas engines you may replace the engine at 2000 hours and have the hydro system go 4000 hours. deck bearings need to be replaced every 200-400 hr's spindles and housings/pulleys 600-800hr's so the only variable on the deck is rotting out witch has to do with how often you clean it.

10. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

A gas engine should last longer than that. We have a ferris with over 7000hrs on the engine which finally blown (needs new pistons and connecting rods) with regualer maintance. Yeah it was old (about 12yrs)

Power wash my friend. Raise the deck, jack it up the front of the machine, tie back the chute, and nail it till the underside of the deck is as clean as it can become. We do this twice a season once at mid way and once at the end. Beware of smell though.