how many hours can you get out of a hydro walkbehind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at buying a 2.5 3 year old unit that is an exmark hydro and i'm wondering what is a SAFE hour range to get a mower like that in...i know the guy he changes the oil every week and he guestimates 1400 hours on it but it doesn't have a meter....this is a U.S. Lawns Franchise and they sell stuff off every few years and this is one he's selling, let me know what you guys think

jeff

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Properly serviced and maintained, I think you could get 3500 hours out of it.

3. Orkin Yards

Ok, this will be my first hydro what kind of things should i look at, i'm going to get him to let me cut w/ it for a day (tomorrow) and would like ot know what to look at, thanks

jeff

4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a couple of questions that might fit in here.

Does anyone have dollar about per hour that you figure, for upkeep of a hydro walkbehind? I'm talking tuneups, blades, oil changes filters, tires, etc.

Now my next question. How much gas will a hydro walkbehind use per hour of operation? Mulching 36 to 48 inch width, normal growth?

thanks

5. Orkin Yards

btt for some answers of my questions....

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How much is he asking? Thats what we need to know. Without an hour meter it's almost impossible to "estimate" hours.

Also, what is it? TT, TTHP, Viking, Engine, HP, overall appearance, paint faded, weathered, etc???

As for gal/hr.... figure between .75 and 1 gal/hr on a wb. Of course, a 72" hydro walkbehind with a 23 hp engine is going to use more than a 32" belt drive with a 12.5 kawi.

Always provide as MUCH info in a post as you possibly can. Makes answering your questions, or giving you advice MUCH easier.

Good luck guys

7. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 TTHP 48 inch Kawi's. I have an hour meter installed at the dealer. I buy a new one every other year. I keep one for a back up. Usually about 300 hrs. and I get about half of what I payed originally. This way things stay new and covered by warranty(Not that I've had many problems.)

8. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

If I understand your post you are trading with 300 hours on it and it costs you half, I guessing approximately $2200 which comes out to over $7.00 per hour for just machine replacement.

9. Orkin Yards

i'm looking at the unit in the morn so i'll know more on all those questoins i really don't know what it is except for floating deck exmark hydro walk-behind....and it doesn't have an hour meter he just estimated 1500...will let you know tomorrow for some better answers...he wnats 1500 out of it and said he's give me a sulky...but i wanted a sulkie that has casters and is fixed since it is a hydro....anyway, thanks and i'll answer details tomorrow

jeff

10. Greenrunner

Greenrunner LawnSite Member

So, did you get the mower?