1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many hours did it take you .....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Feb 21, 2006.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

To get the hang of using a ZTR? I just bought a wright stander and I suck with the controls ha ha. I only have about 4-5 minutes on it but am curious how long it took most of you to get the "feel" for your machine?
  2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Just practice man you'll get the hang of it.
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I think it depends on the operator. I've seen some guys that probably have 100's of hours on them and still don't know how to run them very well. But I would think a good 5-10 hours to get it down and then from there you are just fine tuning your skills.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i knew the countless hours i spent on my various gaming systems would come in handy!! Actually I believe it has more to do with the fact that i've driven a lot of equipment, cars, trucks, boats, dozers, etc.

But about 1-2 hours on my Z when i first got it and I was all set. obviously you learn each macine as you use it more often and you can use it to the maximum efficiency.
  5. wherebluegrassgrows

wherebluegrassgrows LawnSite Member

Took me about an hour to get the feel of it. I had only used walk mowers and at first it was a little tough. I would only use it on large don't matter lots. But after about a month I started useing it on large residentials. IT was a big one and not a stand on.
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

It took me about a week of cutting to really get the hang of it. Now it's like second nature. You never really get used to sliding down big hills though.
  7. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

I know its going to take me more than 20 minutes lol. Bumped a gas meter and found out how they slide already,for my sake I hope its a quick learning curve. Good luck to us.
  8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah i agree, im one that learns the hang of it pretty quickly, ive never driven one before and got on the Ferris model i have, the 61" deck is hard to "start" out on vs something more narrow like a 48" deck though. I was almost turning the deck sideways into things lol. Luckily only dinged barely one fence post. nothing major. i got the hang to the point i could keep it damn strait with the tires on the edge of a curb without driving off into the street after 4~ lawns or 2hrs or less. Some it would take longer, my brother i know it could take 5-10hrs minimum and i wont let him drive this thing, ill have him practice in a big open area first.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure,it's like a computer stay on it enough and it will open up like a book.
  10. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

When I first got a stander I took it out on some fairly easy yards in the morning. Did any hard parts with the w/b. Pretty much flew around with the stander though. By the end of the day I was running it along the side of one of the worst hills you have ever seen with a good amount of confidence. So with me... a few hours to go from no experience to being confident on just about any terrain.