1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how many hours do it call for to change a headgasket on a 25 kohler?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Cutting Edge man, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Cutting Edge man

Cutting Edge man LawnSite Member

anyone have the hrs. it calls for?
  2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

If it took more than 2 hrs there is a problem.
  3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

what is it on.

If it's in a Walker, Figure 1.5 hrs from removing, then reinstalling the engine, then how long it takes to fix.

Things to consider. The bolts that hold the shroud on are prone to snapping, so they may need to be drilled and tapped. While it's out, you should clean the cooling fins and engine block off real good. We usually pop the flywheel off and clean the stator off good while it out. Small things like this while it's apart are well worth it.

If it has alot of hours on it, i'd have them both done while it's apart. Stupid not to. We decarbon the heads and check the valves while their apart.

Make sure you have the updated part number. Kohler has a head gasket kit that comes with a new gasket and new bolts.

2 hours to do the head gaskets, plus engine remove and reinstall time is a good guess.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Technically it should never need replacing. ;)
  5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

why sure it should i think the manual calls for a power tune up @500 hr's power tune means to pull the heads de-carbon and clean valves,guides and such.also its great preventive maintance just imagine having you engine overheat because the intake gasket is leaking.now you have a out of round cyld. because it was not checked.
  6. Cutting Edge man

Cutting Edge man LawnSite Member

it a scag 52 turf tiger with 2415 hrs.
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, Never heard of this on a Kohler Command. There is nothing on it in the owner's or service manuals, I have heard/read it on Briggs engines but that's it.