How many hours do you expect out of your machines?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacLawnCo, Jul 13, 2003.

?

How many hours do you use your machines before you retire them?

1. under 700 hrs

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. 701- 1100 hrs

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. 1101- 1500 hrs

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. 1501- 1900 hrs

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. 1901 + hrs

58 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

As my mower is on its third season closing in on 500 hrs, im anticipating getting another next season to retire my current one. Which brings me to my question...

how many hours do you use your machines as first string mowers before you retire them to back up duties? I realize that at the end of the season, my machine only having 600 hrs still has alot of life in it, but i cant chance the downtime.

How do you guys see it?

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a new Lazer to use as the front line mower back in late March. My Kees, at 1800 hours, would work along side it at times and serve as a backup. It now is the primary mower as the Lazer sits at the dealership in limbo. My Grasshopper 721 with over 2000 hours will be moved up to backup from dry dock ;) Never count on a new machine giving you less downtime than the old proven one.

3. If its a new machine, 2000+ hours (barring accidents) since I keep them well maintained. If it's a used machine, that's a shot in the dark. It could look perfect, but someone might have incorrectly seated the air filter one time and mowed a field of dust.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My Dixie has 700 hours on it and I can't foresee replacing it for another 3000 hours. My Exmark has close to 800 hours on it and other than a slightly loose spindle bearing there is nothing wrong with it.

A mower is not a complex piece of equipment. Regular inspections and maintenance will keep them in tip-top shape for many, many years.

At 500 hours your mower is hardly even broken in.

I put 500 hours on my trimmers before relegating them to backup service.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would say around 2500

6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i have a dixie with 6000 hours and all weve done was replace the belts and 1 motor, the machine is well cared for and works everyday. if you want to rid yourself of a machine w/ 500 hours on it ill buy it, 500 hours is minimual. tony

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Gees MaCster, you're a smart guy. How the heck are we gonna give you a good answer if you don't tell us what Machine/size/brand you've got, and/or if you use a velky/sulky or push leaves with it. Darn, are we supposed to have a crystal ball?? For all we know you've got a Sears 21" pusher.
    Thanks,
    Pete

8. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1977 Scag with a 12.5 Kaw. thats has over 7000 hrs and it's still going.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

According to Pro (it might have been Turf) magazine, gas engines last about 100 hours for every horse power that they have. Diesel engines last 125 hours for every horse power that they have. If J&R got 7000 hours out of a 12.5 Kawasaki, then he must be doing something right in the preventitive maintenance department.

10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well gosh, i dont know what to say. :blush:

Golly Pete, got to get all technical on me now. :rolleyes: Its a 14 kaw 48" metro with jungle wheels.

Tony, id take you up on that.. but its getting retired to pt instead of frontline duty. Plan to replace it with a 52/23 Koh Turf tracer or stander.

Bob, ive heard that, but at the same time ive heard the FC420 (the small single kawisakis) have consistantly gone well over 2000 hrs.

While i dont want the added expense of a new machine, I only have this machine and im not confident that my dealer will fork over a loaner. Maybe have some extra parts laying around or what do you suggest?