How many hours do you guys get out of a mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ericmcj31, Sep 14, 2008.

?

How many hours does your ZTR have when you sell it?

1. >500 hours

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. 500-1000 hours

8 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. 1000-2000 hours

24 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 2000+ hours

42 vote(s)
    43.8%
  5. The hour meter doesn't matter to me!

19 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. ericmcj31

ericmcj31 LawnSite Senior Member

The title says it all--How many hours do you get out of a commercial mower (ZTR) before you sell/dump/trade it in?? Is it gas/diesel?? Is it worth it to you guys to spend the extra $$$ for the diesel engine?? FYI I typically sell mine every two years. The last one I had I sold when it was two years and one day old. Main reason: Warranty! I got really burned on my previous mower (2 mowers ago). I had to replace the engine (Kawasaki), and BOTH hydralic pumps!! Luckily the engine went out a month out of warranty and they (Kawasaki) replaced it and I just paid for labor to install it. But the pumps costed me a pretty nickel! Just wondering what you guys do-do you run them into the ground until the tires fall off? or trade/sell them every certain amount of time?

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a scag turf tiger kawi 22 hp gas with 2163 hours on it and its running strong! i do maintenance on them regularly and just had to replace one hydro and replace the spindle bearings this year... just common maintenance , change oil monthly, grease weekly, keep it clean and it look new!

3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

I have a couple of Great Dane origional surfers. They're 10/11 years old. They have no hour meters. I just put new motors on them ($1250 each). I've replaced one hydro pump, smoked a couple of spindles, and several pto's & idlers. Just regular wear & tear stuff. I also don't have time to go in for warranty work. I can fix it quicker than I can drop it off. I keep plenty of parts in stock. I like shiny new stuff too...but it'll be somewhat dirty within a few weeks anyway.

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I see mowers at auctions all the time from contractors that have 2500-3500 hours on. It seems like they have under 100 hours on them (Guys going out of business) or mowers approaching 3000+, not much in between. I go to these things all the time.

5. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

We just turned 7,000 hours on our Grasshopper 725
    with Kubota WG-750 liquid-cooled gas engine.

Ten years in service, still runs and mows like new.

I've replaced the hydros and such, but never any engine
    or spindle problems.

It's now serving in the backup role as we've recently acquired a Grasshopper 722D with Kubota diesel engine,
    and 1200 hours currently.

The nice thing about the diesel is that over the course
    of it's service life it should actually pay for itself in fuel savings. (averaging .6 GPH currently compared to about
    1 GPH on the 725 gas)

Bob
    Lehighlawnpros

6. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

8600 hours on a 20hp walker. One engine at 4300 hours. A bunch of starters, plenty of flats, and enough old oil to float a boat. I LOVE MY WALKER!!!!

7. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

2670Hrs on my 52" Snapper pro ZTR w/21hp Kawaski (Original hours & runs like new)

8. ericmcj31

ericmcj31 LawnSite Senior Member

So would you say it's a waste if I am selling mine every two years?? (Just to stay in warranty)?? Keep in mind-it only costs me about $1500 for two years of service. (Buy low priced demo, and sell high).

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My first Dixie was at about 1300 hours when an excellant deal on a 27 hour EFI Dixie presented it self. I've never run more than that many hours on any mower but I have a Stihl edger that may be approaching that number.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Over 2600 hours on a 23 kohler. Over 2000 hours on a 22.5 hp 4 cylinder diesel. Both still run like new and are garage kept