How many hours do you wanna have a crew work

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by smarino21, Feb 19, 2007.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

How many hours do you work one crew that cuts lawns, i am gonna have 2 mexicans this year and i gotta give them 60hrs a week for sure right but 2 questions what do you pay a head guy, last year i had a guy but didnt pay him alota at all whats fair someone who drives the truck and knows all the houses? 12-14 with the unemployment around here?

2. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Hourly rates are gonna be different across the country. I don't mind the guys working 45 hours a week but much over that it's time to hire another guy. You generally don't price jobs thinking of paying the guys in overtime therefore when it is overtime you are cutting into your profit.
    At 60 hours a week with to guys you have 20 hours overtime per guy (assuming you are paying OT) which translates into 30 hours at straight time. Times 2 guys is an extra 60 hours of straight time per week. You could have a third guy or even o fourth and be spending less money and get more work done. Just my .02:usflag:

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The key is to add in more people so you don't have over time. I pay my foremen $22.50 an hour and mowing guys/general help $17.50 an hour. I will probabaly bump that up $2.50 an hour for both this year...btw, my guys hardly ever go over 40 hours a week.

4. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Hey, I need a job, please please :waving:

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

If they are on salary... they can work as many hours as you want them to.

6. SpikeGT

SpikeGT LawnSite Member
    from NW OH

$17.50/hour for general laborers? You must have the "Dream Team" working for you. How many guys do you have working at that rate?

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am 100% construction. I may be paying my guys over time for a couple months this year, until i get another truck. Can only get 3 guys in my regular cab. Buying another truck ain't in the budget right away.

But in general, you are much better hiring more guys and keeping them at 40 hours a peice. They will get more work done.

If the truck issue is not a proablem for you, maybe hire 3 guys and have them work 10 hour days, 4 days a week. Let 1 guy have monday off, one guy have friday off, and give the third guy wednesday off. Just another way to think about it.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Last year as many as 11

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Paying excessive OT is crazy ....my break point is at 48 ....it's at this point I must hire another guy ..... or go back in the field myself

N as far as Salary workers n hours over 40 ..... this is not always true as far as OT laws are concerned .... a google search might be an educational fact finding search

As fore me I have 6 guys full-time with 1 salary foreman ....