How many Hours do you work your guys?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by NewWave, Mar 31, 2007.

1. NewWave

NewWave LawnSite Member

I am just seeing what everyones scedule looks like. Currently we are working Mon-Sat weather permitting from about 7:30-7 or 7:30. That is when they leave and all equipment and trash are cleaned up at the shop and ready to go the next day. Just curious to how eveyone else does it. My partner is suggesting the sun up to sun down method but I have objections with that.

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

If were a larger LCO operation, I would have trouble requiring that of my employees ... besides, don't you have to pay them overtime for all those hours per week.

3. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I just have one fulltime (few part) worker. We quit at 4:30, 5:30,6:30 , or whenever job is done or we are at a good stopping point. We usually start at 730 also. Saturday is my estimate day...I'm swamped every night til 9 and all weekend with estimates.

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

we worked almost 70 hours last week with my crew leaders making almost $1000. This will end very shortly, and we will go down to 55 hours. I am trying to give them a little motovation and get some extra work done that we are behind on. This being said... I averaged $89.16/hr per employee during that 70 hr week so I was still making money.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Mine would have made almost $1600...I pay very well so 40 or so is all they need and want.

6. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

I run 10-12 hours in spring 96 dyas a week) but end up wearing the guys out! I am going to try to keep it around 60 hrs per week to keep them happy (money) and productive (me happy). We run about 50 the rest of the year with a few weeks in the late summer around 40.

7. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

This Time of the year 55-65 hours Minimum.. 730-630
    They love the overtime. If I only gave them 40, they would look elsewhere.
    I have a crew out today so three of them will have 70+ this week.
    My overtime rate for crew leader is what Rod pays regular $15 hour Regular =22.50 OT

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, how can you guys run your crews 70hrs a week!?!? A tired crew is a non productive one IMO. We will do 50hrs a week max unless we are seriously behind, and that rarely happens. 30hrs a week in overtime is just rediculous IMO. If I was paying that much in overtime per week, I would surely see it as a sign of being understaffed. ;)

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with paponte, I don't see the need to do 70 hours a week. That is a definite sign of being understaffed. I have five full time employees, and n average week for us is between 50-60 hours, that is 7-5 Monday through Friday, and 7-1 or 2 on Saturday. I haven't worked a Sunday in about five years, forget that.

10. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

From March 1st thru April we work seven days and some nights. Spring Cleanups and mulching. My guys look forward to the hours in the spring.
    We will do 20 trailer loads of mulch this spring easy(1400 yards). Not counting
    residential. They need to get done before we start to mow.
    When we start mowing crews only get 50 hours.