How many hours for a set of blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, Jun 25, 2005.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

How many hours, on average, do you get out of a set of blades before you put an entire new set on? What do you do with your old blades?
  2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I would say every 20-30 hours or so. I can sometimes get more time out of them so I just watch the cut and the qualitiy of it.
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

You only get 20-30 hours out of a blade before you trash it????

I get 4-6 hours out of a blade before I sharpen in. I have 212 hours on my Gravely and 3 sets of blades that I rotate out. One set on the mower, one set in the trailer toolbox just in case and once set awaiting sharpening at the shop. I have yet to break the halfway point on any of these blades. I am guessing at least 80 hours on one set, so far.

20-30 you are either over grinding like crazy or something.

I am talking commercial ZTR blades are you talking homeowner 21" blades?
  4. Precision

old blades go to the metal recycle pile at the dump.
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Sorry about that. I meant that i change out to a fresh set of blades every 20 hrs or so and sharpen the ones I just took off. And you...what the heck are you mowing that you have to sharpen them every 4 hours? :waving:
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

In Florida, I would say he's mowing a good bit of sand. Ever see what sand does to the sail on a blade? Here, we sharpen around 8-10 hours of use, and replace after 4-5 sharpenings. I rotate 2 different sets on each mower, so there's always a sharp set ready to go.
  7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Each Mower of our mowers ,gets a change of blades per machine for each day. Each day of The Mowing Week gets a fresh change out of Blades. In slow growth periods, it drops back to a fresh change out twice a Week.
    All blades are Sharpened and balanced, once a Week for the upcoming mowing week.
  8. Precision

quick growth bahia. And sand associated with it. Besides no one ever complains if your blades are sharp, but they sure do when they are dull.

We usually change them daily or EOD on the Meg-mo's.
  9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my customers has 10 72" Lazers and most of their mowing is not irrigated property. They get 2 or 3 days from high lift blades and 5 to 7 days from low lift blades.
  10. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I run double blades all the time this time of year. They last me 2 days until I have to sharpen them. A new set of blades will last me the whole season before not using them for primary blades. . I use the worn out set of blades above a new set of blades when running doubles.