1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many hours in the life of a wb mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ensor, Oct 13, 2003.

1. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I just purchased a 2003 Gravely 48" belt drive walkbehind with the 15 hp kawi. I was wondering what the expected lifetime (hours) I should expect "on average" to get out of this mower assuming that it is well maintained. How do hydro drive walkbehinds compare against belt drives for longevity (again if properly maintained)? Thanks for your thoughts/experience.
  2. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Any experience or opinions?
  3. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

Are you talking engine life or mower life?

I think those engines are lasting from 2000-2500 hours.

You will have to change the belts after ~1300 hours.

Total life of the machine, pie in the sky guess 4000-5000 hours.
  4. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for your response. I should have specified engine vs. the rest of the mower. Sounds like the mower could last through a couple engines.
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have a 1996 Scag 48 belt drive with over 4000 hours on it. I rebuilt the engine (14 kawasaki) at 2700 hours and it is working great. The only parts I've had to replace other than belts and tires has been 1 clutch, new wheel bearings, throttle cable, new ignition and clutch wiring and brake linings. One of the spindles is beginning to show signs of wear, so I'll probably replace all three this winter. If you give them the maintenance they require when they need it they'll last indefinitely.
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Think about it. The mower is heavy duty steel...it aint gona bend or break. Your only concern with that would be rust, so keep it painted. Other than that, you replace a engine here, and a tranny there, the machine will live on indefinately.
  7. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

right now our mowers have between 400 and in excess of 2700 hrs.

engines have been replaced on some anywhere between 1500 hrs on a kawi ( I believe a 14 hp), to 2500-2900 hrs for 22 or 25hp KOH. Machines are run until the deck will no longer cut, meaning usually repairs and replacements of other components are cheaper than purchasing a new machine. However, once a deck is severly used, it is quite difficult to mate a new deck to the old beat up frame. You'll never get an even cut across the deck.
    Most machines see a min. of 600hrs a season, so they get good use.

I would think with decent prevent maint the engine should last at least 1500-2000 hrs. and the machine itself for 5-10 years depending on how hard you use them and how often you're looking to replace for something newer.
  8. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

I have a gravely 40" wb that I purchased in 1990. It was a left over machine from 1989. I have never replaced spindle bearings, transmission or the kawasaki engine. Minor repairs such as belts and a few pulleys. I grease fittings regularly especially spindles and change oil. I couldn't tell you how many hours it has because it doesn't have a meter. The first few years I ran this machine 30 -40 hrs per week, in the last few it only gets 2-3 hrs per week. This is the machine I use to get into small areas I can't get my dixie into.
    Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance, will save in repair bills.
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

You are talking WB mowers, but I have a 332 with 5000 hrs on a diesel 16 HP Yanmar, with a belly mount 50" deck and the deck has had the original flex-deck on it for 2800 hrs, and everything is fine. The deck is fine, the tractor is fine, the engine is fine, and etc.

It all boils down to maintainance and a bit of luck as to what kind of engine - some last a long time - some shoot craps early - I believe all engine companies have some of each - but I do believe in water cooled, diesels.

Thanks Brad
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Please look at the post above for my response to the topic - This post is just to say that it is nice to have a thread that has some substance to it that applies to more than "stripes" "which mower should I buy" "What do you charge". This Thread actually asks a legitimate question.