How many hours is too many on a ZTR mower?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by zz4guy, Jul 4, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at a John Deere 737 with 1800 hours on it. What is the lifetime of a typical ZTR mower when it is used commercially and serviced regularly?

Is this unit close to the end of its life?

2. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

I don’t believe anyone here can give you an answer that will apply to your situation. It is like asking how long will a truck last. There are far too many variables. If the 737 was maintained better then the manufactures recommendations it might last another 500 hours with normal maintenance. If you are using for home use or as a backup unit it might be fine, but if you are planning to use it for business, I would think twice about getting a machine with this many hours. There will be down times.

More information would be helpful too. What year is it, what engine, what size deck, and photos help as well.

Best of luck in your hunt for a new zero turn,:)

Eric D

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Something to keep in mind, Especially on a higher hour unit; Deere just loves rippin pockets on replacement parts.

4. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

It cost me $150 for a damn axle for my JD snowblower last winter. I know what you mean by ripping pockets!

Here's the excerpt on the ad. I do plan on using it commercially, but I am only a part time guy. It might get used 10hrs a week max this year and hopefully 10-20hrs/wk next year.

I could make do with my 36" if the JD did go down. I just dont have enough accounts right now to justify $4500 on a newer one. This is my first year in business and I'm mainly buying this JD to try out on my larger accounts and see how it would work for next year when I get some larger commercial accounts.

2001 JOHN DEERE 737 ZTRAK

COMMERCIAL MOWER

54" 7 IRON DECK

23 HP KAWASAKI V-TWIN

2001 JOHN DEERE 737 ZTRACK ZERO TURN COMMERCIAL MOWER. 54" 7 IRON MOWING DECK. FH680D-AS04 KAWASAKI 23 HP HORIZONTAL V-TWIN ENGINE. 1822 WELL MAINTAINED HOURS. JUST SERVICED BEFORE LISTING, READY TO MOW. FULL SERVICE EVERY 100 HOURS OF USE. SERVICE INCLUDED: CHANGE OIL AND FILTER, REPLACED (NOT BLOW OUT) THE AIR FILTER AND PRE-FILTER, GREASE THE ENTIRE MACHINE. REMOVE, SHARPEN, AND BALANCE THE MOWER BLADES, SCRAPE OUT UNDER THE DECK, CHECK ALL BELTS AND PULLEYS, REPLACED AS REQUIRED. ALL NEW TIRES AT THE END OF LAST SEASON. NEW MUFFLER. ADJUSTED THE VALVES. NEW ENGINE TO DECK BELT AND 2 NEW PULLEYS. NO CUTS IN THE SEAT, JUST ONE SMALL MELTED SPOT, SEE PIX. THIS IS A GOOD WORKING MACHINE THAT WE WERE JUST KEEPING AS A SPARE SINCE LAST YEAR. NEED SOME ROOM IN THE SHOP, TIME TO SELL.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the price. Looks like they replaced/repaired most things I would have said to look for.

6. Restrorob

Hmmm, Didn't see nothing about hydro service ? I've heard that they get like $900.00 for a hydro pump.

Good Luck with what ever you decide.

7. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I posted some of this in another post a while back but this is some of the basic info from that post.

In an engine running 3600 rpms the piston will go up and down 435,000 times in one hour. In a car with an engine running 3600 rpms would have a ground speed of about 85 mph multiply this by 1800 hrs and you would have a car with 153,000 miles on it. What would you pay for a 2001 car with 153,000 miles on it? A commercial mower is not a car in many ways but its hard to get the seller of a piece of equipment to realize that, and usually they are trying to get top dollar for it(so they can buy a new unit) No matter how well maintained they may have kept it I can guarantee something will break or fail in the near future and you will be the one opening your wallet again.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, but you can start it up and run it around the parking lot and check that out prior to buying.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent point!

But, we still don't know the asking price. He was talking about "newer" used units costing $4500. Seems to me this would be a decent deal for $2K.

10. Restrorob

A real check would be mowing at-least a hour giving time for everything to get to running temps. But that still won't tell you if something is going to cut loose a month down the road. It's just a gamble when purchasing used equipment.