How many hours on an oil change?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rh455, Aug 14, 2007.

1. rh455

rh455 LawnSite Member

I've got about 8.5 hours on my mower(Kawi 19) and I was told to do the first oil change at 8ish. How often after that? What brand oil and what weight? Dino or synthetic? What brand filter?

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

After the first 5-10 hours, you should change the oil. At that point, I run synthetic oil in my machines. I use Mobil 1 synthetic or Amsoil Formula 4 stroke oil. (Thats "made specially" for lawnmower engines and such.) SAE 10w30. Also, I run the OEM oil filters, in which case the cost about $7.50 each.

I'm oldschool with my oil changes and even though I have synthetic oil in the engine, the oil gets changed every 60-65 hours.

3. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

the manual for my kawi says oil every 100hours and filter every 200hours.

i'm following the recommendations only because i use really good synth oil and a high capacity 15 micron oil filter. ... and a oiled prefilter.

if i was using dino ,stock filters and a non oiled prefilter like kawi recommends, (go figure) i'd be doing both at 50 hours.

whats the part # on the current oil filter? call up amsoil for a match.

i believe my 15hp uses a EAo09 amsoil filter ... same as my motorcycle, so its fairly likely that'l be yours too.

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I've always been told every 100 hours after the first 10.

5. growabiz

growabiz LawnSite Member

After 10 hours change the oil and filter. After that you should change it every 50 hours even though the engine manufacturer recommends every 100 hours. This is critical especially if you live down south.

Be cautious about synthetic oil especially in a new engine. It takes about 300+ hours to seat the rings. If you put it in they will not seat properly and loss of power will occur.

Hope this helps.

6. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Changed oil at 8 hours, then at 50, and every 50 after that (easier to remember if on the 50's and 100's). The book says 100, and I've no doubt that would be OK, but I always treat the engine like I'm going to own the mower for the rest of my life, whether I do or not.

As for synthetic, I changed to it on the 8 hour oil change on my last mower with no problems (800 hours), and did the same on this one.

7. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

oops .. my kawi uses EAo57

it was my kohler that used the same as my bike - eao09

8. rh455

rh455 LawnSite Member

I was planning on waiting to switch to synthetic (Royal Purple) after 200 to give the rings time to seat. Does any other filter manufacturer (like Wix, Napa Gold, etc.) make an equivalent filter?

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Oil and filter at 50 hours. I use Kohler 10w30 in both mowers, and the higher capacity filters.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I did the first change on my mowers at 8 hours as recommended.

I've switched to synthetic and change the oil and filter every 50 hours rather than the recommended 100. Some of the conditions I mow in are pretty dusty and dirty, and I am certain that it can't hurt to shorten the interval. Oil isn't that expensive compared to a prematurely fried engine.