how many hours on blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FromtheGroundUp, Jul 25, 2008.

1. FromtheGroundUp

FromtheGroundUp LawnSite Member

how many hours are ya'll puttin on your blades between sharpening them. it's so damn hot. im beat at the end of the day the last thing i wanna do is sharpen. someone said they sharpen every 10 hrs of cut time. whats your rule of thumb?

2. smashingpumpkins64

smashingpumpkins64 LawnSite Member

I sharpen every 15-20 hours

3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

roughly them same 15-20 hours of mow time.

4. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

OK.....I change my blades about every 3 - 5 hours. I don't sharpen them every 3 - 5 hours. I'd go CRAZY!!! Just keep 5 - 10 extra sharp sets with you for each mower, then sharpen blades once a week (or in the winter once a month or never, depending on location).

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

4-5 hours, but that's mulching blades cutting tougher bermuda down low with more dust sucked up. Maybe 8 hours on regular blades cutting tall fescue up higher. But I check them daily and if not sharp, I switch them out. I'm shocked at how many lawns get cut with dull blades.

6. mike r

mike r LawnSite Member

fromthegroundup:

what i do at the end of each day is look at the 1/32" edge on each blade, and examine them for any knicks. if any of them have a knick in the OUTERMOST tip 1" of blade, time to resharpen them, otherwise leave them alone. hope this helps.
    buy the way, i'd consider balancing those blades, after each time i sharpen.
    good luck

mike.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

every 2-3 weeks i sharpen and ballance the blades

8. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

nuff said :laugh:

9. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I sharpen them once a week.

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Some of you guys are nuts. Blades should be sharpened about every 4 mowing hours, most manufactures will tell you this.

I just change them each morning before going out, it takes about 5 minutes, and on Saturday I sharpen 5 sets of blades, which takes less than 1/2 hour. Not exactly 4 hours, but not a week either.

I can't imagine going for a week or two, my blades are visibly dull when I take them off after 1 day. You guys are inviting all kinds of disease and stress related problems on your lawns.