How many hours on your primary mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, May 5, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I have 1470 hours on my Scag Turf Tiger after 3 seasons. The last few months, I've spent a lot of money on it: new engine, Amsoil bypass filter setup, 2 hydro pumps, drive shaft, upgraded the standard deck to an Advantage. I think it's in pretty good shape now and it was all cheaper than a new ride. I'm curious at what point guys trade in their old ones to get a new one. It would be nice to think I'm be ready to go another 3 years after all this has been done, but who knows. I may relegate it to a backup mower in a year or two.

2. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

1993 Walker Mower, 3486 hours. Replaced the motor 2 times, 1 hydro pump, numerous gear boxes, PTO boxes, deck drive shafts, 1 seat, several saftey switches, 14 ingitions swithches (finally upgraded to the new style this year!) Complete wiring harness, several misc. pittly parts. Still going strong. Painted it red to match all my Exmark stuff. Looks good Red! I'll just keep fixing this machine. Looking for at least 10 more years on her!! I have only traded off 2 machines in 17 years. Only then because they were upgrades. Decided to just run em till they die, then sell them for parts or junk. I plan to run all my other equipment till it pukes! Walk behinds require little more than a new motor to run another 2000 hours. Hydros are supposed to last 3000 + hours.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

1995 XW2400 Chopper 60" deck, 22hp Kohler bought in 1994 has 3,295 hours on it. Original motor, pumps, and wheel motors. I did replace the seat for a better ride, replaced the muffler, 2 of the modules in the motor, the intake manifold gasket and the bearings on one spindle. Even thought I did replace this stuff, it was running when I took it in for repairs, so it hasn't missed a days work yet. It's been a good one. :)

I did replace the 1993 Chopper last summer with a 2001 diesel 60", but it only has close to 400 hours on it so far. To early to tell about this one, but I hope to run it til I quit mowing.

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

1100 hours on the Lazer. This is the start of the third season. So far belts,blades,bottom seat cushion, and tires. I see spending some money at the end of the year to keep it going for a while.

5. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

1996 Dixie XW2200 60: 3500 hours
    Replaced gear box once in addition to routine stuff, mufflers, tires, etc. Converted to VTC hydrolics in 2001.

1997 Dixie X2200 50: 2000 hours
    Only routine, nothing major. Converted to VTC in 2001.

2001 Dixie XF2400 60: 69 hours

6. WILSON BROS.

WILSON BROS. LawnSite Member

Over 1000 hrs. on the 99 Hopper, and nearly 700 on the 2000 Bobcat. belts, blades and tires. Parts are cheaper than the machine.

7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Snapper 52" walkbehind with over 4000hrs i purchased it new in 93 it was my number 1 mower for yrs. Ive never done anything on the engine,replace a regulator and muffler and 2belts,never changed a spindle bearing yet.Now that i use a Z-Master 62" i don't use it as much,but i have a lot of hilly yds which i can't run the Master. I have a friend who has been doing this for over twenty yrs,and usually puts over 4000hr every two yrs on his Scags its the only mowers he buys. He has one helper and does over 150 cuts per week but ive watched him work a hes does good.... Marks Mowing Service

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have never heard of anyone putting that many hours on a mower in 2 years. That is an average of 67 hours a week if this person lives in Indiana, based on 30 weeks a year. WOW

Can you explain how he puts that many hours on a mower?

9. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

How in the heck can you put that many hours in two years. I cant even put that on in four years if i try. I cant see how he does it.

Bedros

10. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Eric he has over 150 accounts. If he spent 30min on each account that would be over 75hrs per week, Last season i was over at his house and i ask Joe how many hrs do you have on your truf-tiger he said over 4000hr i looked and he was right.At the end of last season he brought a new tiger. Also you have to add in the leaf work and we get well over 30cuts. Marks Mowing Service ps also thats a 6 day week.