how many hours on your toro/exmark ztr??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, Jan 25, 2006.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

How many hours do you have on them? what year is it? What motor is it? Have you had any major problems with them? How often have you had stuff break on them? I am thinking about buying a used one and trying to gather some info, hom many hours and how they compare to the age. And what stuff starts break when and what to look out for..

Thanks!! chris

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 1995 Lazer (the original) with a 22hp Kohler on it 60". The machine has 1520hours on it. Im going for 1600 without opening the motor. The mower runs everyday from April to November.

3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2000 60" liquid cooler lazer with 1500 hrs on it. I replaced the bearings in the deck spindles a couple a years ago, and some worn pieces in the deck height adjuster. Thats it except for blades and belts and caster tires. Its still running strong.

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

2004 Toro, 200 hours (owned for one year since new, leftover model), 27 hp kohler, besides clutch spacer and throttle linkage replaced under warranty (defective), no problems.

5. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

2000 62" toro 25hp kohler 900 hours and its running fine! only have had to replave belts, oil, and blades.,

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have a ZTR, but a w/b. It is 1996 Exmark Viking, 36" cut, 15hp Kohler, hydro. It has no hour meter, but I've kept seasonal tracking. I think the mower has about 7,000 hours. The first engine lasted about 3,500 hours, and the second one is still strong. I expected to replace it this Winter, but still works fine.

The only repairs have been annual belt replacement, plus a few sets of spindle bearings, and new drive tires. The linkage on the pistol grips is quite loose, and the cage wheel bearings on the front casters are loose. There is nothing wrong with the deck at all. I'm most concerned about hydro pumps and motors. A year ago, my idea was to replace it after the 2005 season, but I haven't decided yet. I expected the motor would need replaced, but such is not the case.

7. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I have a 2001 toro z with a 17hp kawi it has 1200. A few carb problems. I just bought a new toro z last year with the 23 kawi and put 400 hours on it. I do have 3 walkbehinds with 20 hp kohlers and they all just past 2000 hours. I credit the engine life with using synthetic oil.

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Have any of you with the higher engine hours had any problems with the hydros? I have the hydro fluid and filter changed every winter. Just wondering if these have given you any problems because they seem to work even harder than the engines do.

9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Walker suggests NEVER changing the hydro fluids in their mowers (after the first initial break in fluid change) as this is when contaminants get in, and grit is the enemy of hydros. I have 2800 hours on my hydros, and of course the same on my Kohler 20. I am expecting to get many more! I wonder if other manufacturers are suggesting to just let the hydros run? Anyone know?

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

David...interesting point you make. That logic is not unlike what I've heard about leaving the transmission fluid alone in an older or higher mileage vehicle. Of course I dont know if either one is the right thing to do so hopefully we'll get some other opinions on changing the hydro fluid.