How many hours u guys workin' a day?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Oct 4, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! 90 hours is incredible! Hopefully calluses will still develop even though I'm using gloves. I do eat well and work out too so I'm hoping to get stronger for next year. I actually have been using Mechanix $25 gloves with anti vibration padding in them. Although I'm not sure if it's gel in mine, they, along with using an Echo vs a home owner brand trimmer, have eliminatied the numbness in my fingers! THanks for the info Lugnut!

2. green-pa

Was it the mowing/trimming that caused u to have to have the surgery? Did u not wear good gloves? How many years did it take to get that bad? My father had the surgery in both his hands after working on the railroad for over 40 years. I'm hoping to avoid it myself as I hate hospitals and the thought of being cut on.:cry:

3. green-pa

Heh, i Know it's a bit off subject, but just curious: How much do u guys get for an avg 1/4 acre lot and for that matter an acre, in Atlanta? How many years did it take u to build up to your biz level now and how many guys u got working for u?

4. Daddy Joes Lawn Service

Daddy Joes Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Fall work will be around 40 to 50 hrs a week

5. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

GreenPa
    I worked a loading dock for 11 years that had alot to do with it. Plus the the self employment biz:hammerhead: didn't help any.

6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

During the summer when I was working for my uncle and cutting grass, I was working any where from 8-13 hrs a day about 4 of them mowing and landscaping. Now that I am in school only about 3hrs a day.

7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

It really depends, I usually charge around 175 to 195 per month for full service. I am in my 4th year of business, and to be honest, I only took a few months to grow my business, but 2 years to get everything the way I wanted it to be. I now have a total of 8 guys working for me. Looking to possibly add at least 4 more next season, but it all depends on how many contracts I land between now and next season.

8. green-pa

Did u hire guys with prior experience only or how do u train them? I was thinking about hiring someone next year if I can grow my biz enough and train em in my back yard and only let them in back yards of people. I don't know. It would be nice just to have someone do the trim work. But are all the guys workers only or do u have 1 or 2 to head groups and just supervise?
    How many accounts do u have? Surely over 150 right ( in order to justify 8 crew)?

9. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Only have 2 guys with prior experience, which for me was good because I was able to teach my other guys to do it the way I want it, and not have to worry about old habits. I dont think I would have survived this long if I hadnt start hiring. I was getting so swamped with work, that I could barely keep up. Getting help was the best thing I could have done. I went from coming home after dark just about everyday to getting home by 6 or 7. We train at my old home that we plan to finally sale sometime next spring. I was using it was my office, but we have surely out grown it. We practice and teach everything on this lawn, and a few of the neighbors who benefit from some of the things. But I have 2 Foremens, and 1 Operations Mgr. The other 5 guys are just worker bees. One of my foremen is a Seasoned brickmason, and his addition has been awesome. We currently have after picking up 6 accounts today 267. We are actually over booked for my 2 crews, but we are managing to get it done. We lost about 10 account this season due to death, relocation, and just looking for someone cheaper, but we have manage to add new accounts in areas I needed them. Here is a pick from some scalping and seeding....the before pic.....this was taken today......you can see the fence has taken a beating. Teaching guys how the ride the ZTR along fence lines. As you can see, the fence has been hit a few times. Just havent had time to replace, but will get to it this winter. But the lawn was cut at 1.5 inches....and I am going to see how well we do with keep the turf this low.

DSCF0750.JPG

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

10 hours a day, 7 days a week.....