1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours u guys workin' a day?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Oct 4, 2007.

1. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Dave, I'm afraid its time to hire someone so you can have a life outside of the lawn biz.

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

me my brother and grass foreman are there between 7:00 and 7:15. everyone else 7:30 gone by 8:00 and back by 5:00

3. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, that's really an interesting story tj! Sound like u have a major opperation! I don't think there is any way I would have the time to organize all those accounts by myself so I woulda done the same thing.

So why are u seeing if u can keep it down to 1.5 inches? Are u practicing for golf course cutting?

Do u put your new hires in the back yards only at first, so they don't accidentally run a wb or z into a parked car or something?

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i have employees, .... it all equals out, i dont do anything in the winter unless it snows......if you dont out work the competition you loose the race...... that is why i have gained such a huge market share in 4 years......:usflag:

5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

No one touches a mower until I personally feel they are ready. Well maybe the 21in push, but nothing else. Between this lawn, and 3 others neighbors that benefit from this, there is a lot of practice time put in. I found personally that the ZTR has way more power then the WB's, and take a little more time to really learn. Its a slow process but nesscary

As for the lawn being 1.5....Have just noticed that with Bermuda Grass our primary lawn type here in Atlanta, the lawns are a lot thicker and greener being cut that low. Also, during the season a few lawns suffered from drought stress, but bounced right back with just a little rain or water. Plus its make the clean up easier and quicker. I am slowly but surely trying to get all resposibility off my back and onto others so I can start enjoying being the boss. Keeping track of everything becomes a balancing act, but I was a Center manager for Bellsouth for a few years and what I learned there is priceless now.

6. Southern Signature

Southern Signature LawnSite Member

Ya we've been putting in about 30-35 hours a week as of right now. I hope things will pick up as we just finished advertising all of our fall flowers. We hope to get a bunch of phone calls for that. Just hope things stay steady.

"Work Smarter, not Harder"

7. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

8. ballstar

ballstar Banned

I work about 25 hrs per week. It's all I need, and then some with what I charge.

9. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

10. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

These photo are from today. Just got a new camera for christmas, and we just trying it out while checking on this at the barnyard.....we have been in this serious drought, but we have managed to keep the lawns we seeded with Rye nice green and thick. I will post more, but just wanted to post these to show the progress of the lawn. Now if we can just have the fence fixed by the weekend we will be ready to sale.

PICT0008.JPG

PICT0009.JPG

PICT0010.JPG