how many hours would you guess on this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by marionlandscape, Oct 23, 2007.

1. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

you have an exmark 60" rider and exmark 48" wb or 2. everything is pretty much flat. it is a new build so there are only a couple of ornamental trees here and there. The slopes to the pond are very gentle. It is exactly 8 acres of turf area. What do you think the man-hours on this job are?

[​IMG]

2. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

Maybe 8 hrs. hard to say. Ever hear of Google earth?

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Two 60" lazers 4 hours

4. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

By 4 hours you mean 4 man hours or 4 hours total with 2 guys? I don't think either are realistic that would give the guys mowing 2 hours to mow then then 2 hours to trim all that? That doesn't include blowing off which would probably take another 30-40 minutes. I used to cut properties like that when I once worked for a big landscape company but we had both crews of 4 guys each cut an apartment each morning maybe a little smaller then that and it took us about 2 hours.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I took it as just cutting.

6. marionlandscape

yes I use it all the time but unless you want to see a map of a cornfield it won't work for this one it is too new

7. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

do yourself a favor. go there with a calculator,pen and paper.TAKE YOUR TIME. a couple hours of hard thinking and observing should do the trick. WALK to EVERY area. stop and take a very good look at how long it will take you to ride what you can see then write it down. do each area the same way very carefully. then when your done visualizing all the riding,then go to one of the buildings. TIME yourself,walk around the whole building approximately the same speed that you weed-eat at. all the buildings look about the same. so multiply that time by how many buildings there are. the small areas look at those and see if you can use one of the mowers and wether or not you can get up any curbs. take a good look around and probably figure from the looks of it there wont be any blowing off on some porches.figure in the best way to cut down on some blowing off driveways or other areas the best you can.add it all up real carefully, go back home think about it awhile and compare it to yards you already have and see if you would be better off mowing there for several hours, or you might make more money if you mowed several good yards in that length of time and do better. dont get me wrong,you want your schedule as full as possible.or at least (i do). find out if theres a specific day that it needs to be mowed on. see if you can get them to tell you what someone else is charging them to mow it. look at how long it will take you to get there and when your done get to the next yard. look around the whole area and see if you think there could be a possibility that you might get a few more yards from other people driving by and seeing your work. then what i always do is try to wait as close till the last minute SAFELY to give them my proposal. that way they cant tell the next guy after you give them your price, what your bid is so they can undercut you a few bucks. if that is a town house development then what i usually see in my own experience is that somebody there knows the price there already paying for the services and if there in there right mind then more than likely they'll end up telling you simply because everyone in those buildings have to pay a certain price per month to have several different things around there taken care of. i usually just straight out ask them what there already paying after ive talked with them for a few minutes. the way i see it is either they'll tell you or they wont.no big deal. do not ever underprice any job. if you do you'll be screwed and also in the future no1 will ever make any money off the place because they think they can have it done for nothing. good luck bud.

8. marionlandscape

that is usually what I try to do. this has never been mowed it is new. I tried to walk all of it to get an idea but all of the sod isn't installed yet and only half of it is graded. I did walk all of it and take the measurements to make this map though

9. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

Thats what I figured, your best bet is just to do a walk through. Section parts of it off, like a half hour there, half hour there, ect.

10. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

yeah im impressed with the job you done on the map. awesome job bud.:cool: that kinda stuff just aint my bag.