1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many in. lbs. of torque for changing blades???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Nov 22, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Looking for cordless impact wrench and comparing the in. lbs. of torque. So far, the DeWalt DW055K-2 for $219 with free shipping is looking like the winner. Coming in at 1,550 in. lbs. of torque. I think this should be efficient...what do you think?
  2. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I think that if you use 1/2 that amount of torque you will never get the blades off. I try not to really bare down with my $49.00 electric impact wrench. Even my dealer when installing blades just barely tightens them after the get to the knocking sound and thats a plenty. That Dewalt you are looking at will surely get the job done!
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

as for the stregnth of the wrench to torque, I dunno. I use a 1/2 in air ratchet for removal.

but I use a torque wrench to tighten the blades. 90 ft/lb is recommended but I do 100 ft/lb.

4. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

i just hand tighten it with 2 socket renches
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

To get foot pounds just divide the inch pounds by 12. So you start with 1,550 inch pounds and end up with 129 foot pounds. That should be sufficient.
  6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Don't over-torque the blade bolts. If the manual says 75-80 lbs/ft... that is all the torque that is needed. If you over-torque the bolts, they will stretch which will weaken them and possibly causing them to break. An impact wrench is not necessary for blade bolts. A simple click torque wrench is much more accurate and easier to use.
  7. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Richard, your formula is correct, but 1550 makes it 125, not 129 ft.lbs as you stated.

Also, depending on the mower. Exmark says 125 ft.lb
  8. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Ive never in 12 years torqued the blade bolts and have had zero problems........ Air gun off, air gun on......
  9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We don't torque our bolts either. We use an impact wrench to take them off and an impact to put them on and we've never had a problem either.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Normally I just use the Campbell Hausfield impact wrench that came with the air compressor and it has always worked fine. Doubt if it matters, but they are doubles, but they have a special bracket for this....it's just not two blades laying on top of each other. I might just get buy using a "T" tire iron. I will only have to do this in the field a few times when I am out scalping. Thanks for the post.