how many in this gig just for the money or love the turf business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Aug 24, 2006.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I've said it before there are many business ventures you can undertake to make money but I think you have to really love working outside and with machines and people to enjoy this hard work with many headaches. Yes, the pay off can be good but staying power takes some love for the turf business. maybe its just me??? I've seen slick operations with big $$ equipment and big contracts to the little guy with a pickup and a cheap mower but its still takes a certain individual to take on city farming . The risk is you can't make your payments or cheap labor lowballs your profit and your customers jump ship but you still come back for more. I personally still love to cut grass. I like the smell of 2 stroke and the stripes on a healthy lawn. I still love to see a customer marvel at how fast I can cut their lawn and how much better it looks. I'm not trying to set the world on fire and create a big business but I still think it takes a special breed to keep at this business for any length of time. I'm small time on purpose waiting to retire from a full time job . Whats your story ?.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Use to feel the same as you but now its all about the money. I think after you do something for so long ,no matter what it becomes work rather than a work of love.

3. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I retired from the Navy after 26 years. I had to find something that I love doing just as much as I loved sailing the oceans and seeing many different ways of life. I know that this is what I will do for the rest of my life cause I love the outdooors and I love the smell of that first cut lawn in the morning. A good old cup of coffee in the morning and a nice cold coke on the drive home from a good long hard day at the office, and you know the money is good too. Yes you have to stay very positive in this line of work. I mowed grass before I joined the Navy and here I am doing it again. I have all the education a person can want and I use it everyday in the choices I make out here. I love talking to my clients and know what their needs are. I listen very well to what they are tell me and responed to what they want. Every client is different and needs are different. I like to see the smile on their face when they come out and say hello or ask if I would like something to drink. These last few weeks it has been very hot and some have asked me why I do what I do do, and all I say is somebody has to do it why not me. The physical part is what I like the best. I still go to the Gym and run, swim and bike in the afternoons or in the morning depending on my day. This is my story and it is a good one. I never forget that the man upstairs makes it happen for me each and evryday.:cool2:

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you jsut love the grass so much becaus of the twenty six years without seeing it very often.But that is why we started our business it just made sense I loved cutting our grass trimming the bushes and installing flowers and other lansscaping items on ours I was cutting our lawn every for days so I figured why not ive it a try.Guess what I love it I'm one of those people who would rather it be 105 than 55 I just like it warm hate the cold but my favorite holiday is christmas I love decorating the lawn and house. use to be the fourth of july christmas second but its vice versa now

5. guven

guven LawnSite Member

I love mowing, I like to work outside and I do not want to spend all week or all day in one place.I like mowing equipments( mower,trimmer, hedge trimmer,blower......)When I was kid I never tought I will cut grass because there was no grass in my birth place and there was no mower, I saw the first mower when I was 20s.
    to be LCO very good to me.if I manage my company well I believe I will success.
    I love the USA

6. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't care what I do, just as long as it's outside.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

When I started out it was all about the plants, turf, trees, design, the field work. After becoming accomplished at that it just got boring.

Supervising was great too for a while. coming up with paper improvements that created more cash flow or profit, that was a real thrill.

Now I'm into the whole business end and I would rather be recruiting or teaching or coming up with more systems. I still enjoy going out and seeing the results but I am enjoying the office end for now.

Don't know what I will do when I get board with this.

One thing is for sure, nothing is ever static, it is either getting better or worse.

8. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Am I in it for the money? Yeah, I guess I am. I don't labor for free and yes, I wanna get paid! Do I like this gig... Hell ya I like it! I love doing this, Getting up early, knowing it's up to ME to make this thing happen. Knowing that I'm the one that people are looking to, to take care of their lawn and landscape. The smell of fresh cut grass, going home at the end of the day KNOWING damn well I earned my money, NOT being stressed out because a boss is looking over my shoulder and his wrist watch. Making what I want to make.

I've always felt that while i'm working for somebody else, I'm making somebody else rich! The mechanic shop I work for now charges
    84/HR for my labor and I get about a 1/4 of that. I understand, it's their business and the cost associated with DOING business. But they still profit off of my labor. So I figure I can do the same thing in this field. It's my time brother, I won't let it pass me by.... Too much to lose, and too much to gain!

9. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Started this full time gig at age 44. Always worked for someone but never wanted to. Was going to start at age 18 but mom and dad said get a real job or get out. 26 yrs later I still wanted to do it and I have never been happier.

10. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

For love or money? For me, both.