How many Inches of gravel

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by turfman59, Mar 31, 2002.

1. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I am bidding a job that needs a gravel ( 6a or 4a) stone border between the building and sidewalk there is over 600 ft of it at 5ft wide I am just going to figure it by the yard length times width times Height equals cubic yds How many inches of this material to make it look good. it has to be even with the sidewalk and its going to have weed mat and netafim drip irragation under it.
    Has anyone one used this material in there apps or would there be a better looking product . Iam figuring about 40 yds of stone and am going to have it deliverd in 4 cement mixer trucks to put it on really fast what do you think.
    SEEEEEEE Ya Bruce

2. turfman59

Sorry you lawn dogs this should have been in the landscape forum. Maybe the administrator could move it for me because I cant figure out how to do it> But if you have an answer feel free to give it Thanks again

3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

something i noticed about ur formula, make sure u use the same unit of measurment including for the depth, then convert it all to yards, also i thinjk u mean times depth not height?

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Im not sure if I quite understand your post ... but at 3" deep I get around 28yds. Never seen them put stone in a cement mixer here but have seen trucks with "stone slingers". Unless this is a real difficult access I would do it by using a Bobcat or similar machine.

5. turfman59

Just wanted to know is this a commonly used material 6a or 4a stone. it is typically used for drain stone for septic systems ect.
    is 3 or 4 inches enough or will I have to go deeper. The cement truck delivery cuts cost on man power and bobcat rental. The property owner doesnt want a bobcat on top of his new curb and sidewalk I dont think a bobcat can reach over a 5 1/2 Reach over the sidewalk and curb and would take way to much screwing around. You put a chute on the back of the cement truck and he can stay out on the black top.

6. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Since I found a chart for figuring mulch on another post, I look and here is one for stone. Not sure if this is what you want.

http://www.atstecks.com/stone.htm

Rick

7. I've done three stone installations in my whole life. So here's what I've learned for what it's worth.
    4" depth is fine if it's flat. Put a layer of stone under the weed barrier to keep it out of the mud.

What's the irrigation for? That much stone's going to get pretty hot. The only thing that'll survive would be woody ornamentals, and they don't need much added water.
    I put a foot wide strip of rubber roofing material up next to the building to shed water away from the base of the building slab.

I don't know what size gravel you're referring to. But it sounds like what they call #57 here. It's round river gravel sorted thru about a 1" screen. If this is what you have, they move around a lot and won't stay put under any foot traffic. These have a nice verigated color, but the "oversized" stone is more decorative. (oversize is anything the quarry dug up that's larger than their biggest screen)

I like your plan about using the concrete trucks. You're talking about 55 ton of stone. My largest job was about 30 ton. But the largest area is the one pictured below.
    I have more pics if you want to see them.

stone back wall.jpg

8. turfman59

Thank you for the idea of putting down stone to keep the weed mat out of the mud. Its sand though will I still need to do it. I am using deciduous and evergreens in the stone I beleive you could call those woody ornamentals? at least in Dirrs book of woody ornamentals there listed. I thought the micro drip would be good for these types if you say no, Why? How about for perrenials and bedding plants or dont they like wet feet either This is a super 8 facility hotel very tight budget. east and west sides of the building
    is where most of the landscape is I guess the west would be the hottest. any additional thoughts would be appreciated also design ideas Its my first big installation around 10k dollars.
    Thanks again.

9. There won't be any runoff of rain from these stone areas. It'll act like a dry well to hold the rain until it soaks in. Plus there could be water shed from other areas. An area could actually get too much water.

So it really comes down to the particular installation. I've built a micro climate in the area pictured. It's a south facing wall, so it gets no rain to speak of. With the wall, the walk and the stone, it's one hot and dry area. The customer wanted a couple of shrubs there to cheer the area up. I suggested a mural on the wall. LOL

Stone is no substitute for mulch. Most any low growth would prefer to be in a separate mulched bed or dedicated flower bed.
    With hot stones and water we're talking about sauna conditions.
    Trees have the height advantage to keep them from cooking.

I have placed stone around every tree on this property. (6) But only about a 6" border so I don't drown them or fry them. It works good. In 2 years I havn't had to get off my mower to trim around them and the trees are doing well.

In your case I'd cover some of the broad areas with stone, but keep the plantings in separate beds.

But this is just stated from my little bit of experience. I'm wide open to any comments or suggestions.

I think stone has it's place, just not all over the place. :D

Dave

10. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

As a cement truck driver I just want to make you aware that the trucks do not discharge the stone very fast and will not be able to lay it out as well as you are expecting it too. You will still have to shovel it and level it off because it will leave small piles. I can lay out concrete great but I have never in my time driving seen any1 who can lay out stone as good as concrete it just doesnt happen! However it will be better than using a tractor or bobcat.

As far as depth I dont see where you would need any more than 4 inches unless your driving on it with a car or truck so then maybe 6 inches.

hoped this helps

p.s. yes the stone u mentioned will do just fine!