How Many Jobs a day?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GrassMasterNC, Nov 2, 2004.

1. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

Just wondering what most of you are doing a day and with what client base?

For example (10 residential yards a day with 50 regular customers for #1 crew and 2 commercial jobs a day with #2 crew) plus non-scheduled work orders (the excuse me sir, any way you can work my yard into your schedule this afternoon? gigs)

How many residentials are you averaging a day? how big are the jobs? (mow, edge, trim, and blow only) Our going rates average between $35 and $55. Billing per visit and monthly invoices for the contracted folks. Commercial contracts invoiced monthly. All contracted folks on a 12 month pro-rated billing schedule.

Just thought I'd make some conversation & get some words from the :drinkup: seasoned folks.

2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I can only speak as a solo operation, but I can get anywhere from 12-17 residential per day, mow trim, and blow. Most of them fall between 1/4 and 3/4 acre. This time of year I'm only getting about 5-6 done per day due to leaves.

Oh, and welcome to lawnsite. :waving:

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there are a lot of factors involved in how many lawns someone or a crew can get done in a day...A LOT

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

One of the biggest factors to take into consideration is how far apart your accounts are. Ran across a guy last year that operates within a 7 mile radius from his home and has almost 90 weekly accounts as a solo operation. He doesn't have any gated properties, and doesn't do anything but mowing. As soon as the leaves fall he's done for the year.

5. cypresslawncare

cypresslawncare LawnSite Member

Last year I worked at a pizza shop right down the street from my house. The delivery area was at most a 4 mile radius around my house. So I made a grid of 4 flyers on a sheet of paper on my computer, made 1000 copies (times 4 per sheet = 4000 flyers), and stuck them on the delivery boxes. Within 6 weeks I had 20-25 regulars, and had many other calls for odd jobs/landscaping/spring clean ups. Since the houses were so close together, I could do all of them in 3 days a week using crappy equipment (21" homeowner hondas) by myself. And I was always home at 3 pm in time to nap before my night job. Another time saver was getting houses next door to each other. I would tell my customers that I'd give them one mow for free if they got their neighbors to sign up and got three doing that. For a typical day, I'd drive no more than five or six miles for about 8 houses.

6. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

Mustang & work it,

Thanks - good info and a goal to shoot for next season. I was hoping to hear that others were working in the manner with which I intend to - that's encouraging.

Tiedeman, I have read several valuable posts by you on here since joining. Do you have any "for instances" that I have not thought of yet?

Thanks, fellas!

7. MSYardman

MSYardman LawnSite Member
    from MS & LA

Basically, I try to make sure every employee brings in revenues of $181 - $227 per day.

You can be profitable with this formula.

8. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Now that what im talking bout. congrats cypress

9. fbarb111

fbarb111 LawnSite Member

Looking for winter work Iam a landscaper Thanks

10. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a solo operation. Being new to the business, do you only cut blow and go? If so, can you make good cash at this as a full timer?