1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many jobs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigdaddyspags, Feb 15, 2003.

1. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

I’m still trying to understand the business as best I can. How many jobs do you guys do per day (or week) in the spring, summer, or fall? Are these residential or commercial? How many people are in your crew? How many miles would you say you travel for a whole days work? How long is that work day?
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I do this full time and when I'm by myself (cant count on worker as much as I like) I average 10 medium sized yards a day. I also do road fronts for a few sub divisions and bush hog once a month or so. I landscape durring off season. I have about 50 accounts and turn a lot of new stuff away unless really lucrative or something. Most yards are grouped in certain areas. I will do one whole area a day and maybe a stray or two if I have time. The ones I turn down are the ones I have to drive across town or something for just one yard. Thats why I dont advertise in paper or anything.
  3. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

That all depends on the equipment you have, I'm a solo and just starting out after a late start of last season. But it all depends on how big the cutting deck is, in my opinion a 2 man crew is sufficient for a average side home lawn.. How you have your route set up, just some common type of thinking.. Hope this gives you some help....

4. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have one neighborhood where I can do 6 yards in 2.5 hrs. On the other hand some days I only get 8 done in the day. Maybe you should look at how many you want to do in a week, say 55 or 60 if you only have 1 other person.

Hope this helps
  5. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

We do approx 75 lawns a week, with a crew of 3. They range in price from $25 to $250. Mostly residential. Some days we do all small lawns and can do 25 in a day, other days we do large ones and can do 8 in a day. I keep them as close to each other as possible. We work a 8 hour day, and mow 4 days a week. I leave a couple days for catch up and extra work. We put on 300 km in the week with the mowing route.
  6. tralfaz

tralfaz LawnSite Member

I average around 10-12 a day - 55 to 60 a week. That's me and usually a helper. It all depends on the size of the yards and the distance between them. I stay in the part of town that I live in so I am not on the road all day. I'm rarely 5 minutes away from my next yard. It helps when you schedule yards in the same neighborhood on the same day. Also depends on how big your equipment is.
  7. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

A very broad question.. you should break it down into four threads. Good luck
  8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yes very broad question. I would take it you are referring to maintenance. Our days vary 6 days a week. Depends on commercial, residential, size of lots. There are days we do 30 lawns, there are days we do 6 lawns. Too broad of a question.
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

These answers will have your head swimmimg worse than it already is. There are so many variables to it.

Why don't you list what you have and what your intentions are, then a relatively close number could be estimated.
  10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

This question reminds me of an old Dilbert cartoon when in a "business" meeting one of the guys says " Whoa! Are you saying we need REVENUE to make profit??" and the girl says "Ouch! I've got a headache on one side"

That's the answer ....not how many jobs .... how MUCH REVENUE

What we are Selling is Time .... our time .... our workers time ....our equip time

YOU need to think & answer how much income you need to operate ...not how much the guy next door is .... what does or will it COST for YOU to open each day .... each month ....each year

How much it cost you is going to be much less than say me or someone else .... so you can charge a rate to cover your cost n get some $$ in your pocket .... as you grow n cost rise ....so does the cost of your Time