How many landscape blocks

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Smithers, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I have a guy that wants me to install landscape garden blocks (like pisa or something like that) around his lamp post and a bush (7ft diam area).

He wants it like 3-4 (with the one in the ground) high.

The problem is, i dont know how many blocks i'd need. Also, i have never done something like that, but he is a buddy that i can use to learn how to build something simple.

1. Is there a formula or something that i can use to calculate how many blocks i'd need?

2. Also, i need a place to learn how to construct it. Is manufacturer's website the best thing out there?

2. Smithers

i guess noone knows how to estimate the number of blocks i would need.

thanks anyway. :(

3. lifesaverbuddy

lifesaverbuddy LawnSite Member

Hi there. It's tough to estimate when we dont know what type of block you're using as they're all different sizes. I would reccomend going right down to your local block dealer. They will have pamphlets and will give advice. Also show your license and be sure to ask for wholesale prices. And if you have a brick yard in your area, go there. Home improvement/hardware stores get theirs from the brick yard and jack the prices, so just go straight to the source. Mine also has a chart in their wholesale price list that tells me exactly how many I need for the length and height. Hope this helps, and best of luck!

4. lifesaverbuddy

lifesaverbuddy LawnSite Member

P.S. For a 7 ft diam wall, you'd need 22 ft of wall. (diam x 3.14)

Have you done any blockwork before?

5. Smithers

thanks, lifesaver..

no, i have not done any block work before. any tips that i can use?

6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.