How many lawns a week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MrFangs, Aug 9, 2005.

1. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

How many lawns are you mowing on average a week? This is for people who mow small/medium lawns.

Also, do you have a helper? Does he/she make it that much quicker?
  2. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

We run a 2-man crew. We maintain about 80 lawns a week. However some of them are bigger. We have 1 that's 12 acres, 1 thats 10, 6 that are 3 acres. So we could probably do 120 1/4 to 1/2 acre properties if that's all we did.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I cut 37 weekly by myself ranging in size 1500 sq ft to 1+ acres. Just lost one the other day. Damn. A helper definitely makes it easier and quicker, but that's a whole new ball game. Pay him in cash and if he gets hurt roll him into the street and run like hell.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have 20 lawns that i do by myself. I find that helpers (except my dad) are more of a pain than any help. I plan to double the twenty within the next two weeks. Wishful thinking i guess!
  5. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Do you both mow and trim? Or does one trim and one mow?
  6. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I think a helper more than doubles your efficiency. Ideally I'd like to do 4 lawns a week. Like 4- 200 unit townhouse complexes, that would be perfect!
  7. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

Depends on the helper as to how much it helps IMO. I work fast anyway, so it's hard for me to find a helper to keep up and work at my pace. When I worked for my neighbor he worked faster than me, he would almost run with a pushmower or trimmer. We could do a 1 acre job in 25 minutes trailer to trailer, mow trim and blow. Now I got a helper about a month ago, we were in a cemetery and he did in 4 hours what I could've done in 3.5, yes I know he had never done it before and was going alittle slower but jeez, then after 4 hours he decides he needs to go home.....
  8. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i cut 15-20 a week i only get a helper if get behind, but it really makes me paranoid that they will do a good job. a homeowner told me to be more careful because me or one of the helpers hit a dogwood and killed it.
  9. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Had 53 accounts at the start of the year. two of which are close to an acre, the rest are small to medium. Lost 3 of those smaller accounts so far. (Seniors who expect you to cut only when they call and grass is 8" long) No loss there.

I do these solo. Had a helper at the start, then found I could do them almost as fast by myself. Plus NO payroll, NO payroll deductions, NO WCB, NO paying someone for windshield time, NO paying for lunchbreak, NO stopping for 1/2 hour lunch (I often eat while driving to next job), and best of all, NO paying someone else my profits.

I found that, if you're going to be small, stay small. If you want to go big, you have to go real big to make it profitable.
  10. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Started the year with 37 and am down to 34. Three customers sold their homes and three more are selling.

Darned insensitive of them to sell during the mowing season. :)