How many lawns are too much for a new guy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Mar 12, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously i am beginning to worry that i may be getting in over my head with accounts and wonder what is a good # to stop at before i would be finding myself up a creek with out a paddle. I am not trying to brag or anything at all i am simply worried that i might bite off more then i can chew as a first year LCO with not much prior experience.
    I do not want to ever turn down work but i also don't think i am ready to hire anyone yet either so if anyone else has had this problem when they first started please give me some advice. I don't think i am at this point yet but i can feel the stress already setting in,i mean its not even mowing weather yet and i can see this potentially happening. I also know some of you will say just take the jobs and worry about it later but i want to work on quality and quantity not just quantity.

2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, how many?

Do you work any other jobs? Are they all weekly accounts?

At one time I had 85 accounts by myself...

wahhooo one might say, BUT, that was 85 total, I was cutting 45-60/week. (some were bi weekly) WITH A PUSHMOWER!!! Took years before I upgrade to a 48".

But then again, I was younger, slimmer and trimmer... with a ton of energy...

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

How many do you have? With your equipment, around here anyway you should be able to do 75 easily. Of course this is hicktown, and you can get from one end to the other in 10 mins, so there isn't much drive time, at all lol.

You start spring cleanups yet? Or is it still snowy and krap there? I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt doing cleanups today, well, untill I broke my Walker.

The most important question, I guess, is do you have enough lawns to make a as much money as you need to be making?

4. LawncareAmericaLLC

LawncareAmericaLLC LawnSite Senior Member

my first years i had 45 with a push mower & a car doing this on weekends till i hit 100 then i upgraded, more employes, more equipment, more payments, more headaces, more payments, but its all worth it. Keep on cutting

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

thats something only you can decide. I cannot tell you how much you can handle. It all depends on how far apart they are, how far you have to travel between each one...that determines how many you can do in a day. also have to be factoring in the time if takes per lawn. there is so many variables that IMO there is no # were you should stop. only you know how much you can handle in a day.

6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

And THIS is why we all get up in the morning!!!

7. bigw

No other job this will be full time.. so far 23 res and 4 commercials, one of the res is 5 acres and two are over 2 acres the rest of the res are anywhere from 9k to 50k all weeklys except for 1 res which is bi weekly for the months of july and aug {his request} now remember the most important thing here is this is my first year. Sure someone with your expiernce can handle 65-85 accounts but do you reccomend it to the new guy?

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Run down your equipment list again... I can't quite remember what all you have. Also, how many accounts do you have thus far.

I'd say you should be able to handle at least 50. Depending on if you want to bring some one on as part time help, you could easily bump it toward 70. Good thing were not that close together.....lol jk

9. bigw

I need to be making a million dollors but thats not going to happen lol.

10. LawncareAmericaLLC

LawncareAmericaLLC LawnSite Senior Member

150, more equipment, more headaces, more MONEY, more headaces. Keep on cutting