How many lawns can one man cut a day

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by howardsells2000, Apr 17, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mean a row of town houses. I'm wondering on average how many lawns can a guy cut a day. I don't have a helper. I cut, trim and edge myself. I'm trying to average one an hour. But it is hard to do. I'm new at this and most of my cuts this season have been the first cut. I know I should get faster once I'm more familiar with the properties. I have about 70 accounts now and I'm lucky to get 10 done in a day. Some of the accounts are every week and some are every two weeks. So I don't have to cut 70 in one week but if I had to and was only averaging one an hour. I would have to cut seven days a week, ten hours a day.

2. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

We would probably need some more specifics about lot sizes. Also, what kind of equipment you are using.

Sounds like you may need a helper though with 70 lawns. Thats a pretty full week.

3. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

as many as that man pleases :usflag:

4. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you have that many lawns you better get a part time helper or you will be burnt in no time. I work alone most of the time and can do 10-12 a day if I hustle, but if it rains for a couple days or I get real sick or have an injury I am in big trouble without my backup guy on standby. Plus, the quality of your work will suffer in the long run and you could get a bad reputation, not something you need just starting out. Get a helper, get comp insurance, train him properly and let him take some of your burden and make you some $$$$$$

Good Luck

5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can get in about 10 to 13 by myself before i get pretty beat. That is lawns that aren't grouped together. It really depends on the size of the lawn, drive time, and the equipment you use. Most of my accounts take between 35 minutes and a 1.5 hours with a 48 inch ztr (have a couple that take less than 35 mins) . But they aren't as grouped together as i like so there is some wasted drive time.

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have been averaging 15-20 per day. Average size is right at 3000 sq ft. On my larger property days I average 12 per day, average size being right at 8000 sqft. This also includes full meal deal. Weed beds, trim trees, shrubs, dehead flowers adn such. My average work day is right at 8-9 hours from time I leave the house till I kick off the shoes at the garage door.

7. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

One bad week of rain could put you way to far behind.

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Have a crew it works great if their good. A strait line trim is better than a curved line. Got hailed on like a mug last night, bad storm.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

This will depend on what size equiprmtent you are using. It might be a good idea to hire some one to help you out. While you mow, he can trim and then start blowing everything off, so when you are done mowing, the job should be just about done. You load the mower, fill out any paperwork or talk to the customer and then get on to the next house! JMO

10. Fireball the wall

Fireball the wall LawnSite Member

You can always load your mower up with KC highlights and mow thoughout the night. (I am kidding) but that would probably work.