How many lawns could you handle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBALLARD, Oct 11, 2000.

1. DBALLARD

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

If you were a one man show, doing only Residential work. Cut, trim, edge and blow (with a 36" WB). How many lawns accounts would you want to have (or could handle). Most lawns around here are 1/4 to 3/4 acre lots. How many days a week would you work to get that number of lawn done?

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

First of all I wouldn't be doing that many residential lawns of 1/4 to 3/4 acres with a 36". LOL. A 52" or so would be so much more productive.

Sticking with your 1/2 acre average, I would say 40 a week is a good number. If they are pretty close you could do them in 4 to 4 1/2 days and that would leave time to do other services like hedges. That would also leave you time to catch up after rains. That would be with a 52 inch mower or so. And if they are scattered out, you really need to think about narrowing your territory.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I do 30 a week and they are in the size range that you describe. I work 7 to 8 hrs. a day, 5 days a week. Since this was an especially difficult year to cut grass due to the persistant rains my 50" didn't come off the trailer very often and my 36" cut probably 80% of the grass. Last year because of the drought my 50" cut probably 80% of the grass and I spent about 6 to 7 hrs. a day, 4 days a week cutting grass. It varies from year to year and in 6 years of doing this I have seen no 2 years that were alike.

4. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

I do between 40 to 45 yards a week,by myself-but this is with a 61" turf tiger and 36" metro.

5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you solo....30- 40 week depending on number of days
    two-man.........40- 70 week depending on number of days
    3-man...........70- 100 week depending on number of days.

6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Solo with only a 36 walk? Try to find another larger 52+ walk. FAR more productive.
    10 per day tops
    I had my rider go down my second year, had to do 65 in 5 long days with a 36 belt drive...no fun!

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

OK, my lots range from 1/4 ac to 1 1/2 ac. the majority are 1/3, with a 52 in TT hydro I do 59 lawns solo in 4 days, cut trim edge blow and go, maybe 30 hours/week, 50 during the spring rush, including travel time and load/unload time. Your time may vary depending on inseam, fitness, desire to pay bills, etc.

8. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

50 per week - with the equipment you currently own.

9. DBALLARD

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

Thanks all .... I know the 36" is not the best thing to have. I needed something to start with and the 36" would fit thru the fence gates. I will get a large rider when I can. As of now, I cut part time after my day job. I just wanted a good idea of what it would take to go full time. Thanks again.

10. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I used to do 70 a week with my 21", but I always skipped lunch and worked overtime daily and on Saturday. Now I cut 45-50 a week with my 36 and have time to spare on side work, lunch, business errands, etc.

Leaving yourself time to catch up from rain is very important, too. In my 70 lawns/week days, a day and a half of rain would mean leaving 22 or more customers through the weekend. Imagine getting that many calls on a Saturday night... ;)

-TGC