1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many lawns do you part-time guys mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pfeiff, Jan 19, 2005.

1. pfeiff

pfeiff LawnSite Member

I am currently mowing 20 lawns and going to high school. I have a 2004 48" Lazer HP, new Stihl 4-mix trimmer and a Stihl Backpack blower. I want my Dad to go in business with me so I/we can expand. We would work 4 days a week after school and work for 4 hours. Thats about 16 hours a week. We would also buy a 48" walk behind. My question is how may more lawns do you think we can take on with both of us working? Thanks

P.S.- The lots we mow are a quarter of an acre or less.
  2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

20 is pretty good for being in high school. i am solo, after hrs, hope to get 10-15 this season. will not cut on weekends, just small landscape stuff.

i have read guys on here do anywhere between 15-60 with similar case like you.
  3. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

This is a hard question to answer. Alot of guys around here pound their chest about the number of yards they have. But a "yard" can be a $20 cut or a $1000 cut.
  4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 36 accounts that i do every week, they range in price from $30.00 to $145.00 with an average of about $40.00 per lawn. Takes me 4 days to them. I keep FRI open in case of rain.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

This is an impossible thread to answer as far as I am concerned - we all have different size properties - It is not in the number of properties that counts. It is the $/hr that you can make by running the right equipment for the job. In my case, here are some of what we do.

We (my wife and I run 2 mowers.) run a 455 JD and a 595 JD.
    1. Biweekly we Mow a 17 acre biweekly mow - (average 3 hrs.)
    2. Weekly we Mow a 7 acre, 4 acre, 3 (2 acre), 4 (1.5 acre), + a 1 acre cemetary, etc. etc. etc. - 23 acres in all weekly + the 17 acres biweekly..

Last mowing season here in SE Iowa which went from 5th of April to the 20th of November, we put 336 hrs on the 595 and 85 hrs on the 455. so go figure.

In essence, It depends upon what mower system you buy as to how many more lawns you can take on. Thanks Brad
  6. Smithers

brad, thanks for sharing...that is helpful. i think he was talking more about the feneral residential <1/2 acre property. but in your case it's really hard to compare since you do quite a few large properties.

as i said, last year i did 4 (10K) weekly and 1 (4acre) and another 10K byweekly....and had PLENTY of free time.
  7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 12 now, and I cut 2 or 3 days a week. No weekends unless absolutely neccessary.
  8. Smithers

mo, are you part time? you are a firefighter, right?

will you be getting any more?
  9. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 15 right now. I do them on wed.(my day off) and 1/2 on tues. and 1/2 day on fri. It not that bad if you really got the heart to do it, as I do, and my goal is and will be to go full time next year.If you are in school then summer you have off, so go for it all man. Good luck to you and be carefull working with your old man. Sometimes working with family is tuff.
  10. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Same situation here i am 16 in school and mow about 20 yards and have about 15 i do mulch and full maintenance for year round my prices range from the lowest $30 and up to $250. I think i could take on maybe 5 more by myself but i have a guy that works for me about 3 or 4 days a week during the heavy cutting season and mulch.