How many lawns your first full time year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liberty Lawncare, Jun 11, 2004.

How many mowing accounts did you have your first full time year?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2004.
  1. 20 or less

25 vote(s)
  2. 21 to 35

12 vote(s)
  3. 36 to 50

15 vote(s)
  4. 51 to 75

5 vote(s)
  5. 76 +

2 vote(s)
  1. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

How many mowing accounts did you have your first full time year?

A) 20 or less

B) 21 - 35

C) 36 - 50

D) 51 - 75

E) 76 +
  2. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

this has been my only job for 4 years. first year i had 10 accounts, second year 20, third year about 30 and this year i'm near 40. what constitutes "full time"?
  3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

im part time, i mow 33 accounts weekly, it will probably go up to 40+ by the end of the year. it is my first year, i cut thursdays and fridays.
  4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

My first year (part time) I had 10, 2nd (full time) year started with those 10, and built up to about 35 by early summer. This year is my 2nd year full time, and for mowing I currently have 38 weekly, and about 5 more 'part time' customers. Still am adding about 1 customer per week or so without any advertising. BTW, I am a solo operation.

I'd think 'full time' to mean our primary job/source of income.
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

This is my first year started in March and I am up to residential 15 accts, 1 commercial acct, and fingers crossed on a 2nd commercial. I may be buying 6 small commercial accts and 14 resi ones soon. When the price is right you have to strike.
  6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my first year as well. i had been doing 8 in my neighborhood since i was 12. Well after turning away and dropping a pair of accounts, i am at 46 jobs right now. These are small postage stamps, and can be finished in 2 days.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I had 4 now I have 3.
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

First year was something like 19 or 20. Hard to remember. Now we're at 35 and that's plenty. Takes the crew about 3 full days with normal growth and rainfall. I turn down mowing all the time. It blows sea monkeys personally. Landscaping rocks. We can clear more profit with one day of landscaping than all three days of mowing, you figure it out.

Maybe I just don't know how to sell mowing or get the dollars I need, but it is a pathetic looser in this business. We do above average work and the friggin' market just doesn't seem to let us get any more monies. I would say, looking back at it, solo is the way to go with mowing. Pay off your equipment, weed out to the good accounts, and just do it yourself. Unfortunately for me, I want a larger company and that option isn't practical at this stage.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its not just how many Lawns. Its that and also how many SQUARE FEET of lawn did you cut in what kind of terrain?

I'll take 5 acres of flat over 1 on a steep hill with trees.

Don't base your business on how many numbers like that. Its nice to know info but you will agree that a guy can have 50 5000sq ft lawns or 5 50,000sq ft lawns.
  10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Got a little over 40 weekly accounts now. My goal is to have 120+ by the end of the year. I know it's far off, but it's my goal.