how many lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Apr 25, 2004.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

What is a reasonable number of lawns, i can expect to do in a day, i have a full time job and get off a t 2:00 and will mow after that, i plan on mowing residential only to start off and nothing to big. ?
    Also, can i start mowing small lawns with just a 21" walk behind, and weed eater, or am i just kidding myself?
    How much money can i expect to make just mowing small lawns?

Touhey's Prime cuts lawn care

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Touhey, Welcome to LS. Please do a search, this topic comes up at least twice a month. To answer your question, off the top of my head, 21 inch, small yards, maybe one per hour. Good luck!!
  3. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

You need to do a lot more research. Ask yourself some of these questions just as a start. I'm only in the biz going on two years so you can get even better info by searching and asking "specific" questions.

(1) What is your definition of large/medium/small size lawns? Small to you might mean large to me.

(2) Are all of your lawns going to be in the same neighborhood? In other words, can you drop your trailer gate and mow 5-6 lawns or do you need to unpack/pack for every single account.

(3) If you do need to commute between neighborhoods how long is that drive?

(4) How far of a commute from your job to your shop/home and to your first account? Let's say you can be at your first account in one hour. That's 3pm. Now it takes you 1 hour to do one lawn (21" push mower). Even with just 3 lawns you are already at 6 pm. Let's say you have nine lawns. OK, what happens when you have 3 days of rain and nine customers to do at once? You need a game plan.

(5) What times does it get dark in the fall in your area? Can you be mowing lawns come September at 6 o'clock?

Here's a scenario for you to think about:

Let's say around 30 for small residentials. Assume 12 lawns per week for a 25 week season. That's 9k for the year. Now, pay your G/L insurance of 1.5k, your auto insurance of 1k, your fuel bill of 1.3k for the year, your phone bill for the year will be around 50/month (600/yr), let's say you pay 400 in equipment maintenance for the year, 500 in auto maintenance, and 1000 in miscellaneous expenses (there will be more but I'm getting tired of typing. Let's total just those expenses up that will be around 6.3k. Subtract that from your 9k and you have 2.7k. OK, you worked at least 12/hr/wk on the lawns (not including drive times). Put 4 hours per week into maintenance, running the business, etc. That means you put in 16hr per week or 400 hours for the season. Now $2,700 divided by 400 hours is $6.75 per hour (gross). You'll see about 60% of that (depending on your tax bracket) after taxes. That means you'll be taking home around 1600 dollars for a whole seasons worth of work. Keep in mind this is assuming you have a retirement plan, medical benefits, etc. from your other employer. In addition, I'm assuming you have a fairly reliable truck/auto, trailer (if needed), and reliable equipment. I would think you can expect (in your first year) to make next to peanuts. But hey, good luck I'm not trying to discourage you.