HOW MANY LCO's friends want service at a discount?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJhnson Lawn, Apr 12, 2005.

1. MJhnson Lawn

MJhnson Lawn LawnSite Member

I service some of my friends Lawn and they expect some kind of discount,
    because of friendship, and then when I cut them a little slack its
    not enough. How many LCO's are having this problem?
  2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

No discount given to friends. I may help them out on some things or allow them to bring their own blades to the shop and sharpen them, assuming we are only spraying their lawns not mowing them.
  3. BigMack

BigMack LawnSite Member

They all do!!!!
  4. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I got it when I was in a law office, when I was doing computer service, when I was in software development, photography, etc. My wife gets it all the time too.

Her mother is in HR. The other day, she wanted me to come by and do a bunch of lawn work for her, as a favor. I told her that the business was not even off the ground yet, but that once it was I hoped to be too busy for any favors. She was bent out of shape, to say the least. I told her ok, how about I do your lawn work as a favor and you do all of my employee screening, hiring, training, paperwork and whatever the hell else you do, as a favor?

She didn't get it.

My experience has been that people who ask for a discount "because we're friends" or family, do not value your time or your work and they will take advantage of you to no end.

Tell your friend that you would be happy to tell him where you get your day laborers.
  5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta love the " yeah, I work with your dad's friend's neighbor's friend's cousin's sister, so what can you give me for a deal", probably the same one you would give me. I do have one or two friends that we trade off work and do things pretty reasonable for each other but it works with very few people.
  6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

All of them want it.
  7. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

i only have one like that but when i asked him to run some new electric for me he said 20 an hour fuc@ that any one else know i run a business not a Charity !
  8. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

My friend came over to see my new Grasshopper and saw my powerbroom and asked if he could use it to do his property. I had to call him later and tell him he could not use it since i just ran it over (by mistake). I was able to fix it but have not called him back to let him know that. :p
  9. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

The way that I have found to be successful is to tell them that if there is a "favor" that you need me to do I will try to fit it in my schedule. However, if you are looking for a long term business arrangement then I will have to bill you like a regular customer.

I offer a small discount, usually like $5 off of a $30 lawn, but that is it.

I tell them that I am very leary of doing business with friends as it has caused problems in the past.

Most (not all) have respected my position/stance. Those that haven't I have discovered weren't real friends anyways.
  10. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Direct familiy members get the service for free! I try to stay away from doing work for friends, its just not good to involve money with friends period.

One of my friends asked if i would resod his yard at cost. I told him I would drop off the sod at his house and tell him how to do it! :p