1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How many listen to music ...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CP Estates, Dec 19, 2006.

1. CP Estates

CP Estates LawnSite Member
    from North

Wondering how many people work with a music listening device while cutting / trimming etc. and what type do you use? I'm leaning toward the new portable Sirius unit. More importantly, how durable are these units given the dust, grass and other things that could possibly ruin them?
  2. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

I just went to my local radio shack and bought a FM stereo headset. I only use it on my larger lawns though. My smaller residential lawns I like to here what I hit. LOL Mine quit working already though so I guess that it wasn't to dust and grass friendly....
  3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I used the XM portable for 2 years. It was okay, but the reception wasn't always the best depending on what side of town I was on and if there were alot of obstacles or not. Became more of a pita then a convienience. Then, 2 months ago I bought the new iPod shuffle. This thing is great for me. Smaller then a book of matches, doesn't get in the way, and there are no monthly fees like satelite. I go and download espn podcasts (sports nut) which is free, all of the music I want, and that's it. I recommend it for sure!

..and there is no where for dust and debris to get into the iPod. I haven't found a negative about it yet!
  4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Ipod. If I am mowing or trimming. If I am working on other projects, no music.
  5. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I use a cheap MP3 player I got of Ebay 512 MB holds 40hrs of music and I only paid $24.00 including shipping, I went cheap because the sweat and dust will eventually ruin it!
  6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I bought the radio earmuff that they sell at home depot. They work pretty well. Fifty dollars and I get about 2 years out of them before the ear pieces start to tear. I've had 3 sets of them now and the batteries last for a few months. I use them every day.
  7. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I do not listen to music when operating any equipment, besides my car/truck.
    It's more of a safety thing then anything else. But other then that i listen all the time in the shop or office. Check out www.cdzinc.com pretty good selection (not everything) and they keep changing stuff up.
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have the radio on in the truck but thats it. I dont listen to anything but the sound of the machines running or the sound of me talking to myself in frustration while I am working.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

If i want to really get depressed and down on life i listen to country,but most of the day a local radio station or ear plugs.
  10. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

I pod connected to Pro Ears Tactical hearing protection.

The Pro Ears muffs are really cool. They amplify sounds below a certain decible level so I can hear others talking to me. At the same time they cancel out noises above a certain decible level to protect my ears. There is a cord tht plugs into the ipod and each ear piece.

Originally they were designed for SWAT applications so that operators could have hearing protection and radio communication. The price is really much too high to purchase for lawn care use. I'm just lucky to have a pair for other purposes.