1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How many loads will 80 tons be?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jun 16, 2009.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

How many deliveries will I be paying for with 80 tons of driveway stone? Basically I'm asking how much a tri-axle can carry.

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

About 22 ton

3. GMTA

GMTA LawnSite Member

Around here I get 26 ton on my distributors tri-axle truck. Either way your looking at 4 deliveries.

4. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

22 is the max for a tri-axle. Tractor-trailer dumps are 34 I think.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

:confused: that would be 2 tons on the 4th load:drinkup:

6. GMTA

GMTA LawnSite Member

You should be able to get a discount related to delivery costs considering the amount of product purchased. Look into it....or you can just make 80 or so trips with that dump insert...haha

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

haha I actually did figure out how many trips it would take with the dump trailer just for kicks... 26. With the insert? IDK, 80 is probably about right.

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

they will either send you ~69 tons or ~92 tons (23 ton loads)...it is very difficult to get the quarry to send you a 10 ton load without paying for the full trucking rate

you also might want to ask what type of stone it is...if it is a light weight limestone 3 trucks might do it, where as if the stone is a heavy weight granite you might need 4 because of the volume to weight differences

9. soopa

soopa LawnSite Member
    from NY

If you're getting it delivered than you're going to get a "per ton" price on that much stone... so who cares how they do it.

A "load" is typically considered 20 ton plus, 20 ton is typically the minimum you need to order to avoid paying a trucking fee on top of the per ton cost.

The average load I get is 24.75 tons, I've received tri-axle loads as much as 27.9 tons.

10. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here! Basically that much stone would be about $5.50 per ton delivered
    within a reasonable 15-20 mile radius.