How many miles are to many?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, Feb 7, 2013.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Mines an animal. Baught it for $10 with 100k on it. Did tires, oil cooler, coolant flush and filter, egr delete, and put another 50k on it with no problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Transmissions are crap. The front cover is bad about leaking which requires engine removal and they have wiring issues. The engines in these trucks are rock solid but the rest of the truck is in Uncle Si's words " That things a peice of Junk". And no crew cab

Each brand has it's own issues. Duramax is the best engine/trans combo but the truck is not as heavy duty as the Ford's. The 7.3 Ford trucks are the best for truck durability but the Auto trans will need some serious attention. They have some front end issues but it is not an expensive repair.

Here is a F350 SRW. Not ideal but cheap and leaves room for repairs.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3559890598.html

Do not be scared of pulling with a single rear wheel truck. We do not have mountains down here and especially if you use a goose neck trailer they do great.
    If you get up in the 15k range you can find a good Chevy 3500 dually in the early 2000's.

3. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

Just bought basically the same truck. Actually advertised as very similarly. Mine's actually a 97 with 224k on it. so far I really like it. Other then that I can't really help you.

4. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

get a 90-92 International with 466 and manual, dump a little cash to make it look good. They will run forever, cheap to work on, haul more than a pick-up, safer and will get better fuel economy. It will give you a better company image as well

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I'd rather have a single wheel truck, but really its whatever I can get a deal on.. But I pull a deckover 7ton tag. In hopes of getting a dump truck.

I'd like to find a dump truck, but right now I dont feel like I have enough capital to get a decent enough truck.. I dont know, this is all still up in the air. I am just shopping around trying to find something that just seems right. :laugh:

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean it will give me a better company image?

7. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I still vote for a small dump(550 size). Also like having it for towing.

8. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

9. Pro-Turf Lawn & Landscape

Pro-Turf Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

All the boys with rich parents here at high school get 2500 and 250's instead of mustangs and Cameros and "roll coal" every chance they get. Isn't that bad for the truck :hammerhead::confused:

10. Pro-Turf Lawn & Landscape

Pro-Turf Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

Sorry to hijack btw guys