How many miles do you drive in a day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gll, Jan 28, 2006.

1. gll

gll LawnSite Member

I have a question for those of you who do mowing. I was wondering how many miles do you drive in a day on your routes, round trip? Also, on average, how many accounts do you service per day and what is the average size of the lawn?
  2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My routes varied last year from as little as 15 miles total for the day on up to over 50! Needless to say I will be culling out a few this year and cutting back my mileage.
    I do anywhere from 8 to 12 per day and they average around 5,000 sq ft
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

40-50 miles is the biggest route I have round trip. I could probably get about 8, maybe 10 residential lawns done in a day. I'm guessing because the way I have my schedule, I don't mow any more than 4 lawns on a given day. All of my residentials are about 1/2 acre.
  4. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I only leave my city one day a week, that day from the time that i leave my house, cut about 10-12 lawns, go home drop the trailer, go to the dump and come back home i probably put about 50 miles on my truck? thats a guess ive never counted.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Average I do about 10miles round trip, and do an average of 10 lawns a day.

My work trucks get about 3,000 miles a year AT THE MOST.
  6. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

500 miles a week , 45-60lawns a week.
  7. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Wow! I wish I could do that.
  8. ftgulal

ftgulal LawnSite Member

me too! 18000 in 5 months, and a new set of tires on the dually, hurts in the pocket book.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I average 19.28 miles a day, 6 days a week, 30 customers and 1/2 acre in size. Those miles do include non grass cutting trips like going to Lesco (32 miles round trip) and my Dixie dealer (40 miles round trip).
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends... I'd say I only really get out and do actual work for half the year but when I do work, watch out lol.

If all I do is grass-cutting, I'd say anywhere between 40-80 or thereabouts... I don't start my truck unless I have at least 4 yards need cutting, and there are plenty of days in between I just stay home (like when it rains, holidays, sundays, etc...)

Now if I have to pick up loads of mulch at one end of the county or take loads of trash to Shoosmith landfill, 100 miles / day is not unusual... About 18-20k miles / year is what it all adds out to in the end.