How many miles on your truck? When to trade?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Calvin, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Just wondering when most of you start worrying about the high mileage on your trucks & consider getting a new one? My main truck is up over 75 000 miles & my backup is a Toyota compact pick-up that I don't like to use for more than a couple days. The main truck 97 F150 (no plowing), has been well maintained & not having any serious problems yet but I want to trade before they start. I get the truck fully checked out twice a year but still would rather be not caught without it for longer than a week.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My '95 F-150 has 85k miles on it and it is not scheduled for replacement until 2007.

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

My 94' Dodge Dakota 4x4 is still running very strong at 180,000. It just truned over today actually! I'm looking into getting a new one, but until this beauty starts to die, I see NO reason!:D

4. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

My truck is a 1993 K-10 with 109,000 miles and running strong, uses no oil and has a very good TH400 beefed up transmission. I don't expect to trade until it starts giving me problems. This is the same philosophy I have for my mowers. I have 3 dixie choppers that I(we) use daily, and 3 backup machines that get occasional use, plus a 52" Lesco walkbehind that is used almost daily. The nice thing about the whole scenario is that everything is paid for and I don't purchase anything that I can't afford. Debt Sucks!...............Lynn

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:D I have 90,000 miles on my 94 gmc serria 4x4, and wanted to do a lease plan last year and the dealers would not give me enough money for the truck. It looks like new, purrs like a mean tiger. I believe that I will run this truck until it starts looking bad, ( I got a reputation).:D

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

1998 F150 has 50,000. I plan to keep it as long as possible.

7. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1985 Chevrolet K-10. It uses oil, leaks oil but not on the ground, the rear end leaks that I just got rebuilt, it has 212,500 miles on it. Everything works great, the interior is o.k. the paint job is still shiny, and I drive it to Orlando three times a week that is 60 miles round trip but is a 2 hour ride round trip. Only left me stranded once when the rear end went out. I think when it rolls over again I will retire it, rebuild it and start over again.:blob3:

8. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

Got her in March of 1998,, the trailer with the mower is about
    1 ton behind me got a 4.6 under the hood just turned 82.000
    ]after 5 to 6 years is a good time to trade but maybe this time
    i'll keep her longer 82.000 and still goinging strong.

9. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

You are smart to have a backup. A downed truck may cost you
    more than a months payment (and serious headaches) If the
    truck in question is paid for, my opinion is that you get rid of the
    "backup" truck-keep the one you have, then get a newer one.
    But, you should sell it outright. If you trade it, you will get a few
    thousand dollars less. Get on a few years old with 30-40,000
    miles- you will save a lot of dollars. I would also suggest getting
    a 4x4 3/4 ton. Why not give yourself an opportunity to make $$$
    plowing snow?

10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I purchased a 2000 ford f-250 last october, since I have put 45,000 miles (mostly highway and most with a trailer) on her, I would expect no less than 250,000 before i hand it down to another employee or trade it in.

Pj

P.S. truck is a auto 4X4 with powerstroke and 3.93 gears