How many miles should an f250 last for?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pattytastik, Jun 5, 2013.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,

I am in the market for a new truck to replace my 2002 Dodge dakota 4x4 reg cab. I am looking at the following:
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3846211809.html

I have always wanted a ford and the extended cab would be very nice as well as the significant upgrade in towing/hauling capacity. Obviously there is no guaranteed amount of miles that a truck can last for, but as someone looking for a reliable truck that should last at least 50k miles, is this too high miles?

Thanks for the advice!

2. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

My 94 has 238,643 miles on it just put a trans in it 10k ago original engine still

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

We just bought an 02' diesel F250 with 250k miles on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

50k miles is a lot for a ford. Surprised it lasted that long

5. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

:laugh:

Does he have service records?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If its still running it has a new motor, trans, recient computer replacement and software up grade. SO my guess the service records are a book for that truck.

7. mlavin73

mlavin73 LawnSite Member

I'm not a huge fan of the 5.4 motor. In my opinion it's underpowered (especially with the 38 inch tires). I currently have a 2006 Ford F250 with the 5.4 motor. I have 53K miles on it and the truck is ready for to go in for it's 3rd exhaust manifold. The truck is now out of warranty so I get this bill. All the salt they throw on the roads seems to rust them out. The other thing to keep in mind....If they never recalibrated the speedometer for the larger tires, the truck will have MORE miles than they are mentioning. I remember when I lifted my truck and put larger tires on, it throws the speedometer out.

8. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't buy a lifted truck for a work truck. Looks like it has been mud booged to me. I would buy a stock 3/4 or 1 ton.

9. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Have an 02 F150 w/ the 5.4. Has about 161k on it and is going good. It burns Amsoil like no ones business though, and I have a problem with going through rather large puddles (The guy at AutoZone checking my codes told me to buy a boat lol) that water splashes up and burns up the COP on cycl #2. Had to replace twice so far, other than that, it's not bad for a 150...but Id want something alittle more powerful on a 250.

10. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

I would pass on any lifted truck like that for work .