How many miles should an f250 last for?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pattytastik, Jun 5, 2013.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Wow i just looked at that ad. Way way overpriced. Plus once those tires wear out you are looking at close to $2k in tires. You will kill that motor towing with a lifted truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah those Mud Grapplers look good and everything but you would lucky to get 25k out of them before there worn out. And they look 60%-70% tread right now so do the math. And that motor isnt enough for a lifted truck like that turning 38" mud graps. Theres way better deals out there than this one.
  3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Toyo mts are a better choice

I wouldn't worry about it being a 5.4. Looks like he may have put gears in it
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

Gears are good to compensate for large tires but im sure nothing was done to compensate for braking. Bigger tires = more distance to stop a vehicle not to mention the trucks center of gravity is much higer now, not ideal for towing.
  5. truthtellerusa

truthtellerusa LawnSite Member

no year listed. That truck has been run hard for that time. at over $9000 after taxes and such. Would you pay over $3500 for a used mower of with over 1500 hours where the guy selling it is taking off the cooler parts of it? It isn't the top of the line mower either.
  6. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

My 2000 Ford Ranger has a little over 323,000 miles on it. I replaced the transmission at 235,000. BTW, it has the 2.5L 4-banger in it. What a great little truck! A guy at my church has an older one with over 420,000 miles on it.
  7. Four_Seasons

Four_Seasons LawnSite Member

Agreed, the 5.4 gets horrible gas mileage anyways, and pulling a trailer with those tires surely won't help. 6.0 powerstroke has treated me well though. Regular maintenance goes a long way...
  8. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

get the aftermarket "dorman " manifolds with the lifetime warranty .Actually,your truck might already have them as even dealers are using them in my area .
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I have been running f-250/350s for 30 yrs. With towing and plowing I get about 190k out of them . After that repairs cost climb quickly.
  10. thom

thom LawnSite Member

It is may professional opinion, buying anything used, is buying something that needs repairs.

If you can do it, I would put a large down payment on a new truck.