How many miles?//

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green boy1, May 22, 2006.

1. green boy1

green boy1 LawnSite Member

Do u guy drive for youre clients, 15? 30? 45? miles. :headphones:

what is ther fardest that u guys go for ur customers?

And if so, do you charge a gas sub-charge to the customer?

Thanks and have a good mowing day :cool2:
  2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

The furthest property I have on any route is 12 miles away. I have 7 properties in the same community out there, so it's well worth it for me. I will not drive further then that, unless I could rack up just as many in one area to make it worth it. Driving 12 miles away for me is nothing, considering I live in the largest city land wise in the country. I have focused on getting all accounts in a nice tight group. It's worked great for me.
  3. deerbutcher

deerbutcher LawnSite Member

It would be ideal if all your customers were within 10 miles from home(I have a truck stop across the highway from my house and I ride my mower to cut that one). When I give a quote, I don't take in consideration mileage unless its further than 10 miles away. Knowing my truck gets 16 mpg pulling my trailer, I'll add a fuel sur-charge and for the extra time I'm looking at the windshield. I've taken an account 14 miles from home, added $5 extra. After cutting the first time, the lady wanted me to quote her sister next door. Got that one too.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Your answers will be all over the board for this one. Someone in the country will have to drive many miles to reach just a few customers. At the peak last year we had 130 residential customers within 1 mile of our lot.
    In one subdivision we had 43 lots- all within 1/4 mile of the others.
    If I drive 5 miles I will pass within 1/4 mile of around 50,000 homes and 500 LCO's cutting them. So we don't have to go far.
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Different geographical areas of America mean different travel distances.
    My crews routinely travel over 100 miles per day to service the different accounts I maintain.
    For my area, homes are often seperated on to large ranches, some driveways extend for over five miles.
    Heck, the closest grocery store is 27 miles away.

And there you have it-- between me and SWD you have very different answers.
    I guess the best answer is --As far as it takes to make money
  7. mole

mole LawnSite Member

50 accounts 5mile radius. same for snow plowing.
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you just use the SEARCH Feature on here there are numerous threads with dozens and dozens of answers on this very thing.

Advice to the new members.....SEARCH before asking a question on LS is your friend as you will find many of your questions ask and answered numerous times on here, which equates to a wealth of information.

Your just no fun!!:)
  10. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

My furthest lawns are 22 miles from my house. 44 miles round trip. But i do 22 houses in this community now and it is well worth it to me. I would not go this far for 1 or 2 yards for long. For long meaning if someone called for me to travel this far and i saw a potential to get more, i would take it for a couple months maybe 1 season. All the while passing out flyers in the community to try and get more work there.