How Many New Clients

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dewos, Feb 12, 2007.

1. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

About how many new clients can you gain in one year? And what are the best ways of getting new clients?

2. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on how agressive you are at trying to get the accounts. Best way is put your name out and word of mouth.

3. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

I am going door to door right now mostly on weekends when I can get home Because I go to college right now. I have fliers a page long that I am handing out or leaving at the door if the people are no there. Can you use tape to tape to the door or is there a chance it might peal off the paint of the peoples doors? Or where is a good place to leave the flier at?
    Thanks

4. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Getting people to call for estimates is easy through flyers and newspaper or phone book ads. The hard part is getting them to agree on my prices.So many other lco's selling themselves short and under bidding them. I have floated around the 100 accounts range +/- for the last 8 years. I lose 5-10 a year and gain no more than that back the following year. I bid to cover my expenses and to make a really good living. I refuse to work harder for my money,since I'm right where I want to be year after year dollar wise. We make the serious money off the add ons, which doesnt happen with the price shoppers.Build slow and dont leave money on the table.Plus building slow gives you more time to learn how to complete different types of work, which you can't do if your booked 40 hours a week with low paying lawn cutting accounts.

5. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

That's some awesome advice about building slow and add on services. Add on services make a big chunk of my business. I have a lot few accounts than you.

6. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

In NJ how much do you charge for about a 1/4 or acre. I understand that I wont be making the same amount as you because i some what new and don't have the experience but I believe u need them little yards that way you learn from mistakes. I mean I have gotten threw a few myself... I want to try and miss as many mistakes as possible and thats why I am on here. I need to learn about taking taxes out, pay role, and insurance. I also need help with what to do about my college situation, if you could help me with that. But your saying slow and steady, so how many do you think a 2 man crew with a Z two push and 2 weed whackers and so on should start at?

7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing wrong with the little yards. In my opinion thats the best avenue to go.I have several accounts that are small (around 4,000 sq ft grass)and we go in at around $35 a cut.Then we have a few accounts that are an acre and get between $60 and $120. I would take the small lawns anyday of the week over the larger ones.Depends how tight your route is as far as how many you could do.

8. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

That's some awesome advice about building slow and add on services. Add on services make a big chunk of my business. I have a lot few accounts than you.

9. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

yeh i hope to get thirty + new accounts this year. the possibilities are endless, its all in how bad you want to get yards, but definately dont sell yourself short. i figure to get 30 new accounts thats going to be about 3000+ flyers. and keep an add in the paper. thats a big stretch but it can be done. and yes add on services are the best!

10. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

well like said in my other post i am about to be a member of chamber of commerce for in my small town. for for a couple yard mowings worth of moeny fee's and a lil time spent with the community il get "out there." with it comes flyers in the "welcome bag" to anyone who has power turned on to a new residnece. your name and service is in a directory along with important numbers like city water and cable service for example. has anyone doe this before and if so ide like input please.....thanks